Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Teefer2 issues

Posted Sep 17, 2009 09:26 AM
    Hi All,

I am currently having an issue on a windows machine. I have no network connectivity and have noticed a wanminiport-teefer2-miniport in my network connections. I have tried uninstalling it but it will not allow me, just continues to say "This device cannot be uninstalled as it may be used upon computer startup." I have deleted all registry keys that are associated with teefer2, and still no luck. The symantec product is all screwed up on the computer, I cannot uninstall it because I installed through active directory and it now cannot access the server that I installed from. Any ideas??

• 2.  RE: Teefer2 issues

Posted Sep 17, 2009 09:34 AM
    If you are able to access the server , then we can give it a try
    1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections.
    2. Click a connection.
    3. In the dialog, click Properties.
    4. Select Teefer2 Driver and click Uninstall.
    5. You will need to repeat these steps for each Network Connection.
    6. Reboot the computer.

Also delete
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\teefer2.sys
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Teefer2

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/teefer2-miniport

• 3.  RE: Teefer2 issues

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 17, 2009 11:45 AM
    Hi,

Easy way out...

1) Delete all Entries related to "teefer" only and not "teefer2" from the registry.
    2) incase if you face deleting some enteries, check the permissions in it and provide full permission to those and delete them.

Restart the computer once done....

• 4.  RE: Teefer2 issues

Posted Sep 17, 2009 12:20 PM
    If you remove the network adaptor and reboot and reinstall the card, you maybe able to restore network connectivity.

• 5.  RE: Teefer2 issues

Posted Sep 17, 2009 12:46 PM
    Greetings Brent.Miller,

This teefer2 driver is notoriously hard to get rid of, I believe bjohn is correct in uninstalling the card and reinstalling the card to get rid of it. Alternatively you can open a support case with Symantec, we do have a utility that will remove teefer2 though it is an internal tool that we will only give out for certain issues. I believe this would likely be one of them.

• 6.  RE: Teefer2 issues

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 17, 2009 03:37 PM
    The Teefer2 driver is responsible for capturing all network traffic entering or leaving a particular interface so that the packets may be passed to the personal firewall component of the SEP 11.0 client for analysis.

The Teefer2 driver works, in tandem with its associated miniport driver.

The Teefer2 driver runs in kernel mode, and passes information over to the teefer.dll for user mode operations.

Since all in- and outbound traffic is filtered through this driver, firewall rules are applied to all traffic passing through it.

Please note that it is not possible to disable the Teefer2 driver without removing SEP 11's firewall component.

Incase if you are facing one of these issues:

Removal of the Symantec Endpoint Protection client from a machine results in loss of network connectivity.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007122214401348

• 7.  RE: Teefer2 issues

Posted Sep 18, 2009 04:47 PM
     I've experienced many of these issue due to VPN clients using Deterministic Network Enhancers.  Often uninstalling the vpn and sep leaves the system in the stat where the network is completely broken.  Usually I end up rebuilding at this point.  Can yall provide specific registry locations that load and support the Teefer2 components?  Citrix has a DNE update on their site that has fixed on of the systems.  I'm working to get a better feel for what scenarios this helps with.