View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Migration User

Migration UserMar 17, 2010 01:59 PM

• 1.  SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 08:53 AM
    Hi all,

I have a small closed network (no internet connection) which consists of a Windows 2003 Server Standard R2 x64 edition, and Windows XP SP3 32 bit workstations.  I download the 64 bit version of the .JDB definition updates and place it in the appropriate folder on the server.  The SEP clients on the 32 bit Windows XP workstations all receive the updates, but the 64 bit SEP client installed on the 64bit Windows 2003 server never receives the updates.

I am able to communicate to the 64bit SEP client using the run command in SEPM console with all commands, except the update content.

This feels like I am overlooking something really simple.  Am I?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 09:05 AM
    do you see a green dot on your 64 bit clients ? is windows firewall turned off on your clients?
    open sepm
    admin
    servers
    local site
    show liveupdate downloads
    do you see latest defs for 64 bit clients too.? 

Symantec Endpoint Protection: Troubleshooting Client/Server Connectivity

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008091215040048

• 3.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 09:40 AM

I'm having same problem as
    mwentzel's picture
    mwentzel

Also, on a closed (no internet) network.  I copy virus def .jdb file to usual spot on management server. All 32-bit clients get update fine, but no go on 64-bit clients.

Performed all the connectivity test above with no errors.

Even the SEP Client on the SEP Manager server, itself a 64-client, is NOT getting updates.

Also cleared out old defs per,

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007123111551948

Still not working.

Note, everything had previously been working fine, with last successful update on 02/24/2010

Any other suggestions?

• 4.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 09:47 AM
    Rafeeq,

I have a dot with an exclamation point in it becasue tthe definitions are beyond the set limit, but otherwise it would be green.

Windows firewall is turned off on all clients, including the problematic client.

I think you are on to something... It does NOT show the latest defs for the Win64 MicroDefs.

Any further advice?

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 10:00 AM
    thats the problem then,  please clear out the corrupt definitions as per this document, 
    once done restart sepm service put the jdb file again

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008041516215948

• 6.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 11:25 AM
    I'm having the same problems.  I've tried clearing out the corrupt definitions and that did not help.  Our 32 bit systems are updating fine, but our 64 bit ones are stuck back in February.

• 7.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 11:33 AM
    open the contentinfo.txt file
    look for the numbered folder for your 64 defs
    open that numbered folder
    do you see any folders with date ? 

• 8.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 01:13 PM
    Rafeeq...  On ours, the folder for the 64 defs listed under contentinfo.txt has 3 numbered folders.  One from November, one from December, and one from February.  I've tried deleting this folders and copying the .jdb file over again and these 3 folders just show back up.

The 32 defs folder has one from February and 2 from March.  It looks like that folder is working properly.

• 9.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 01:22 PM
    This has been doing my head in for five days. I thought it was an issue with my system but looks like others have exactly the same problem.

I have a W2k3 R2 x64 SP2 running manager, four W2k3 R2 x64 SP2 clients (including the manager server) and one W2k 32 bit client. None are connected to internet.

I update my definitions weekely on Thursday mornings and my last update of 64 bit definitions was on the 4th with definitions dated 3-3-10.

I no longer even have any 64 bit definitions on my server because so far over the last few days I've tried:

1) Clearing out old definitions - No effect. A folder for 100303050 even reappeared in the {1CD85.... folder!

2) Upgrade manager from 4r1 to RU5 - No effect

3) Uninstall manager, re-install RU5 manager and reconnect all clients - No effect. I don't even have a {C60D.... folder any more!

My manager processes the jdb file but only updates the manager with 32 bit defs. Could the jdb only contain 32 bit defs? The definitions download site appears to have defs for 32 bit or 64 bit server but they both point at the same jdb location so I don't think there is a specific jdb for 64 bit or 32 bit server.

• 10.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 01:53 PM

I'm in agreement with HarrisP's findings.  I'm in the exact same situation. Diconnected (e.g. No Internet) network, updating both 32 & 64 bit clients via .jdb file.

My 64-bit updates also stopped around same time (Feb. 24, 2010 - in my case since I only do updates once a week).  I also noticed the issue with both 32 bit & 64 bit jdb update file (on Symantec website) now pointing to the same exact file with identical checksum.

I could have sworn that in the past 32-bit & 64 bit had seperate distinct jdb files ... but don't quote me on that.

The issue appears to be happening to several other users as I seen at least three other threads with same sypmtoms/problem. (guess they didn't do a search before creating yet another thread fpor same problem we all are having).

• 11.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 01:59 PM

• 12.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 02:07 PM
    Followed the instructions in your reponse as closely as possible, and recopied 64 bit .jdb file in to proper location.  Problem persists.

And I see that I am not alone with this issue...

• 13.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 02:18 PM
    Mine lists three folders.

Each one contains "Full" folder and a full.zip file

• 14.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 17, 2010 03:49 PM
    I think I am going to scream if this is the problem.  Are the 32 bit and 64 bit def files supposed to be EXACTLY the same? Hope I didn't just waste a half day for a posting error...

• 15.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 08:31 AM

As i posted in another thread, I don't think this is the problem. I noticed weeks ago the 64 bit and 32 bit jdb pointed to the same location but my definitions updated fine until last week.

I've been trying to solve this issue for six days, I've cleaned out definitions, repaired SEPM, upgraded SEPM from 4r1 to RU5, uninstalled including deleteing the database and reconnected all clients. Still I get no 64 bit definitions when loading the jdb file.

• 16.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 08:47 AM

In my case, this is a brand new install that has worked this way from the get go.  I do have other closed networks that I support that have 64 bit clients on Windows 7.  Perhaps I'll go check to make sure those are getting the updates as well.  We generally drop in new .jdb file on a weekly basis.

Can someone verify that the 32 & 64 bit .jdb files are supposed to be identical?  And if so, why?

• 17.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 08:54 AM
    My guess for them being identical is that they are not an executable file, they are data. As long as the 32 bit manager and 64 bit manager can process the same file there only needs to be one file as long as the data file contents are definition executables for 32 bit and 64 bit clients.

Looking at it logically, it is almost as if there are no 64 bit client definitions in the jdb file.

• 18.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 09:25 AM
    So, is there anyone who can verify if the .jdb files are missing the 64bit def files?

• 19.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 09:38 AM
    download 15th jdb and update the manager from here

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/AVDEFS/symantec_antivirus_corp/jdb/

• 20.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 09:57 AM
    I'd already tried that file. I just tried it again even though it is older than the last file I loaded and it still only processed 32 bit. The only file I haven't tried in the list at that site is the latest one but as none of the others updated 64 bit, I'm not expecting the latest one to either. I was waiting until another file was released before trying vd30e233.jdb

• 21.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 10:47 AM
    Not getting anywhere here so am now hanging onto the support line. Longest customer has been waiting 29 minutes. Premium rate number, yippee! :/

• 22.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 11:13 AM
    This problem seems pretty widespread.  Wondering when we're going to hear something from symantec about a fix.

I followed the instructions on http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007123111551948 for deleting corrupt virus definitions.

Still, when I run the latest JDB, all that gets updated is 32 bit definitions.  If you look in the following directories the 32 bit folder will have definitions, but the 64 bit folder will not. 

• %programfiles%\symantec\symantec endpoint protection manager\inetpub\content\{1CD85...
  • %programfiles%\symantec\symantec endpoint protection manager\inetpub\content\{C60DC...
  • %programfiles%\common files\Symantec Shared\SymcData\sesmvirdef32
  • %programfiles%\common files\Symantec Shared\SymcData\sesmvirdef64
  • %programfiles%\common files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs

It seems to me that the JDB files doesn't even contain the 64 bit definitions.  Can anybody confirm that this file contains 64 bit defs?  

• 23.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 12:31 PM
    I raised a support case and they got me to update the client with rapid release executable claiming the manager would work after that, it didn't.

My manager is still not updating although I do have up to date definitions on my clients as I've run the intelligent updater on each of them, so it's a workaround but I'm lucky that I only have a few 64 bit clients. It's a workaround but not a solution. I've now raised another case to report the manager still isn't working.

• 24.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 01:26 PM
    Tried the 15th, and no dice.  Saw the 18th was there so I tried it as well.  Problem persists.

• 25.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 01:35 PM
    Just got off the phone with our rep.  I was told they were able to reproduce this issue in house (loading the JDB on the SEPM and only having 32 bit defs), and identified it as a defect.  They are working on a fix, and should have it available soon.  Be on the the lookout.  In the meantime, I was advised to load the v5i64 executables as  a workaround.  ftp://ftp.symantec.com/AVDEFS/symantec_antivirus_corp/.  Hope this helps.

• 26.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 01:38 PM
    We were having the same problem which turned out to be because of corrupted Definitions. Flushing the corrupt definitions per the previous post worked but apparently does not address the cause of the DEF's becoming corrupt. I believe it is happening again after only one week.

• 27.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 01:41 PM
    I accept that has been a problem in the past but we have tried clearing definitions and one user even has a clean install. The jdb file is just not updating 64 bit.

• 28.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 01:42 PM
    That fix didn't work for me ... already tried.

If you review the thread, you'll find that has already been suggested, and for most folks in this thread ... it is not a fix.

Come on Symantec .... we need this fix. Obviously something has changed (in JDB file) over the past few weeks (that is causing this) since most folks 64bit clients were updating just fine previously.

• 29.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 01:52 PM

Yeah, the last update I had was on 1 March.  Hope to get this resolved soon.

• 30.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 02:27 PM
    that we're investigating this.  Will post info as soon as I have some to share.

sandra

• 31.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 03:45 PM
    I had some of our system administrators use the manual update for unmanaged antivirus clients (executable, not jdb file) and it worked. Luckily, I currently only have 3 64-bit clients so it wasn't that big of a task for them.

But, it's a temporary work-around for us while Symantec figures out what's wrong and fixes it.

• 32.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 18, 2010 05:43 PM
    to be precise, it's the 2010-03-18 rev 024.

I am assuming the ones after won't have that problem  :)

I had use the console to deploy 10 32bit client and 8 64 bit client now. so far so good.

• 33.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 18, 2010 06:09 PM
    Hi all,

Just tried one from 18th .jdb file. My 64 bit starts working

Give it a shot guys.

Ken

• 34.  RE: SEP 64 Bit client not receiving definition updates

Posted Mar 19, 2010 09:29 AM
    Just dropped in 2010-03-18 rev. 040 .jdb to my closed network SEP server and it finally updated my 64-bit servers.