Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 11.0.6 (RU6) on XP - sluggishness, false warnings of corrupted files during chkdsk.

Posted May 03, 2010 05:20 PM

Has anyone seen this? We upgraded to SEP 11.0.6 last Monday (from SEP 11.0.5) last monday.  One of our XP workstations ground to a halt, and we saw troubling symptoms on other XP boxes. 

On this and other XP workstations, when we ran an online, read-only 'chkdsk.exe', we saw intermittant false reports of disk corruptions
    • volume bitmap warnings
    • "Correcting error in index"
    • "Deleting index entry..."

This was intermittant. 
    • The PC's could run one clean chkdsk, then show own the above during the next chkdsk. 
    • And all offline chkdsk's (from a PE disk) were clean.

Downgrade back to SEP 11.0.5 resolved the above problems.

Anyone seen this or have any ideas?  We ended up rolling back to 11.0.5 out of concern for possible disk or data corruption.

John

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.0.6 (RU6) on XP - sluggishness, false warnings of corrupted files during chkdsk.

Posted May 03, 2010 11:39 PM
    And when you reverted back to RU5 everything is working fine??

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.0.6 (RU6) on XP - sluggishness, false warnings of corrupted files during chkdsk.

Posted May 04, 2010 01:37 AM

Yes, after reverting back to RU5 the sluggish PC and the false CHKDSK errors on different XP boxes were eliminated.

• 4.  RE: SEP 11.0.6 (RU6) on XP - sluggishness, false warnings of corrupted files during chkdsk.

Posted May 04, 2010 01:43 AM

Also noted: the XP boxes that were most likely to have CHKDSK errors has slower harddisks.  And the box that was crippled had a slow harddisk and low memory (512MB, with several memory intesive apps), so it did a lot of memory paging.

No assurance that this will help recreate the errors, but it is where I would start.

• 5.  RE: SEP 11.0.6 (RU6) on XP - sluggishness, false warnings of corrupted files during chkdsk.

Posted Jun 04, 2010 10:58 AM

I'm waiting to deploy 11.06b until this and other issues are resolved.

Thanks

• 6.  RE: SEP 11.0.6 (RU6) on XP - sluggishness, false warnings of corrupted files during chkdsk.

Posted Jun 04, 2010 02:41 PM
    Hopefully someone (jchristiansen in particular) experiencing this issue has opened a case with support for investigation.  It can't be 'resolved' if we don't get a chance to analyze what's going on.

('11.06b'?  The latest available is RU6a, which translates to 11.0.6005.)

sandra

• 7.  RE: SEP 11.0.6 (RU6) on XP - sluggishness, false warnings of corrupted files during chkdsk.

Posted Jun 07, 2010 11:46 AM

OK, 11.06A it is.

I would like to know if this is still an issue as it would definately effect our environment. Also, concerned about the below post  for the same reason -

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-mr6-and-6a-random-issues-filey-copy-network-share

It looks like jchristiansen downgraded to 11.05 as a solution. How am I to know if these issues still exist in 11.06A ?

Thanks,

Eric