Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Deployment Server Wake on LAN doesn't work

Posted Apr 09, 2010 07:17 PM
      |   view attached
    Recently installed CMS 7 and Deployment 7.1.  Not very impressed so far.

Remote Agent installation failed on both Windows 2000 and XP.  Had to do a manual pull installation, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a remote management suite such as CMS.

So, trying to go to the next step before testing imaging by waking up the clients. 

Symantec Management Console says, "Remote power management is not supported on hardware of selected computer." 

Um, no.  WOL is set in BIOS and works just fine from DS 6.9.

A quick look at the Altiris Log Viewer says, "The specified machine does not have a valid pcA License."

Has anybody had similar problems?  What do you suggest?

• 2.  RE: Deployment Server Wake on LAN doesn't work

Posted Apr 12, 2010 09:43 AM
    Firstly, make sure that firewall is not enabled on your client machine. there is no other reason that Altiris Agent is not installed on client machines.

Secondly, for using WOL feature you need to set Power Management option from Altiris Agent setting for a particular collection.
    Wake up on LAN is a feature provided by Notification Server not by DS.
    For settings, open Altiris Console,
    Settings > Agents / Plugins > Settings > Altiris Agent Settings - Targeted
    Open the page, select the group of computers, on second half partiton, go to Advanced tab
    check the option "Enable tickle on Altiris Agents"

the error messgae you are see is for special hardwares.
    Also, Windows 2000 is not a supported OS by Deployment Solution 7.1

• 3.  RE: Deployment Server Wake on LAN doesn't work

Posted Apr 12, 2010 10:33 AM
    Regarding the remote installation failure:
    Have you created an exception in Windows Firewall (or similar firewall programs) to unblock ports 80 and 445?
    Have you created an exception in Windows Firewall (or similar) for the Altiris Agent?
    Have you enabled File and Print Sharing?

What did the client logs show for an error message when the remote installation failed?

NS won't be able to send the agent package to a computer if these firewall configurations haven't been made.

Regarding WOL:
    I believe WOL works differently in 7.x, because you're broadcasting on the local subnet of the targeted system, not broadcasting to the agent. 

Have you enabled power management on your managed computers?  'Enable tickle on Altiris Agents' should be checked.

Have you specified the global agent settings to be used for power management/tickle/etc?  Settings > Agents/Plug-ins > Global Settings.

• 4.  RE: Deployment Server Wake on LAN doesn't work

Posted Apr 13, 2010 05:59 PM
    Thanks for the input, but still no luck.

Firewalls are turned off on the target computers.

Per your advice, I enabled tickle on altiris agents, but that didn't seem to do anything.

For what it's worth, I can shut down using Manage Power State and Redirection, but I still get this error when attempting WOL:  "Remote power management is not supported on hardware of selected computer."

Are there PXE related settings I'm missing?  Are there other Notification Server settings I can try?