Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Database size and site properties

• 1.  Database size and site properties

Posted Dec 02, 2011 11:12 AM

The SEM5.log file on my SEPM server has reached 12gb for 15 clients.  I need to reduce the size of this file but I cannot access the "site properties" window.  All the instructions point to Admin --> Server --> edit site properties but the problem is that I don't have this server tab.

I can't locate the servers tab in Admin.  I only have:

1. Administrators

2.System

3.Licenses

SEP SMB 12.1

Any Help? or Suggestions?

ElieB

• 2.  RE: Database size and site properties

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 05, 2011 05:44 AM

Hello,

Since it's a Symantec Endpoint Protection SBE 12.1, you may have to uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and Install the Latest verison Released Symantec Endpoint Protection SBE 12.1 RU1

This would help you resolve the issue.

• 3.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Dec 05, 2011 09:56 AM

Hi

I have the same exact same issue. The Servers tab is missing. And I have installed Symantec Endpoint Protection SBE 12.1 , RU1 as a pristine installation, as my customer was having a new Server.

I also need to set database settings and there is nothing on the Internet about this issue.

Is it a missing registry setting? Is this problem only in the SBS edition?

StefanW

• 4.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Dec 06, 2011 10:06 AM

Are you login to Endpoint Manager Console as an admin?

• 5.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Dec 06, 2011 05:50 PM

Installed SEPM SBE 12.1 RU1 (12.1.1000.157) last week for a client with only 5 users.  SEM5.log blew out to over 8GB in that time so had to rename/delete the file for now in order to clear space on the disk to keep it functioning.

The Servers tab is missing from my SEPM installtion as well.  Definitely logged in as the admin and the only options are 'Administrators', 'System', and 'Licenses'.  The system tab enables you to edit the server properties (email, proxy, liveupate, passwords, web service) but there is no option to edit the database or log file settings.

I also have another client running SEPM SBE 12.1 that was installed a few months back and there is no issues with the sem5.log file here (currently 576kb).

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

• 6.  RE: Database size and site properties

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 06, 2011 10:49 PM

Please go ahead and stop the Symantec Embedded Database Service from services.msc.

Rename the old Sem5.log file and start the Symantec Embedded Database Service from services.msc.

It will automatically create new sem5.log file and you can delete old sem5.log file now.

• 7.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Dec 07, 2011 08:55 AM

Hi All

Yes I’m logged in as admin.

I now have installed / upgraded 3 Symantec Endpoint Endpoint Protection SBE 12.1 installations with or without (RU1)

All of them with the missing Servers tab.

Is this a bug in SBE 12.1 editions or is it by design? ( you have to manually maintain databases ec.)

Some installations maintains the log size even without the Servers tab others don’t.

I now have installed / upgraded 2 Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP and SPS EE) 12.1 installations with or without (RU1). None of those editions has the missing Servers tab.

StefanW

• 8.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Dec 07, 2011 09:50 AM

Hello Stefan,

Thankyou for the update. As you've mentioned the installation version is 12.1 SBE, server tab is not there in this SBE, its available in Enterprise version.

Data purging would be done automatically, truncating every 4 hrs and indexing weekly as designed.

In case after restarting db service the issue still persist, request to log a case with tech support.

Please update the status,

Cheers !!

• 9.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Dec 09, 2011 05:02 AM

Hi

Aha. Could be a really good idea to mention in a document like this where the Server tab is mentioned. See the document: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC4889 even that the SBE edition isn’t cable of using SQL.

I have several customers with SBE 12.1 editions. Most of them seem to truncate correctly but one or two SBE setups just don’t do anything.

I have compared two SBE 12.1, RU1 setups with approximately the same number of users. The folder “Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager” with correct maintenance is about 8 Gb and with incorrect maintenance about 13 Gb and keeps climbing.

What to do when no configuration options are available in SBE editions?

Thanks

StefanW

• 10.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Dec 10, 2011 04:10 AM

for 8 clients 13 GB of data space is way too high. Please browse to C:\program files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Center\db and check how much disk space is consumed by sem5.db and sem5.log.

Waiting for your response,

Cheers!!

• 11.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Dec 12, 2011 05:16 AM

Hi

In this case it's only 6 clients.
    sem5.db: 2.886 Gb.
    sem5.log: 3.707 Gb and climping. After upgrade it vas about 10 Gb. The log was manually cleared 4 days ago and has now climped 3 Gb.

I have 1 error in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Tool v. 1.0.6000: The client cannnot commuicate with some or all of its Symantec Endpoint Protection Managers.
    But I don't see any problems. All firewalls are disabled with the

netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off

It's a Microsoft Small Business Server 2011, x64

Best regards
    StefanW

• 12.  RE: Database size and site properties

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 12, 2011 05:47 AM

can you check which server the client is unable to communicate, it could be error while communicating using hostname ( DNS issue), that can be ignored if it is able to contact using the IP address of SEPM.

• 13.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Dec 13, 2011 05:18 AM

Hi

No clients having trouble updating or receiving updates from management server. All Clients are shown as fully updated. No logs are showing any problems.

Has nothing to do with the maintenance problems sep5.log still climbs..

Best regards
    StefanW

• 14.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Dec 20, 2011 03:26 AM

Hi

I’m now sure that none of my SEP SBE setups maintains databases and logs.
    Now I got 6 installations of SBE 12.1 and none of them does anything!
    The databases and logs just grows.
    There must be a permanent solution for this!

Best regards
    StefanW

• 15.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Dec 20, 2011 12:57 PM

I too have a fresh install with a 10 GB log file and a 3 GB db file. WHY? It is the latest RU1 version and have just a few clint systems added so far.

• 16.  RE: Database size and site properties

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 21, 2011 09:57 AM

Hello,

Try these Steps as provided below:

1. Log in to the Sep Manager.
    2. Click Admin and select Servers.
    3. Select the localhost under Servers.
    4. Under Tasks, Select Edit Database Properties.
    5. In the General tab under Database Maintenance Tasks.
    6. Select the checkboxes next to Truncate the database transaction logs and Rebuild Indexes.
    7. Click OK to apply the changes.

It is required to truncate log immediately, change the frequency to daily and enter current System time In the start time box. You will be able to truncate log Immediately.

If the issue still not resolved, then 

• Rename sem5.log file to sem5.log.old.
    • Try Forcing to create sem5.log file again by running dbsrv11.exe from C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\ASA\win32\ location.
    • Once, the sem5.log starts getting created again, Delete the old sem5.log file.

Hope that helps!!

• 17.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Dec 22, 2011 03:48 PM

i have the same issue with sbe 12.1.1000.157 RU1

9 clients, logfile about 22gigs !

@mithun sanghavi

the register localhost does not exist in the small business edition. the f**** programmer has vergotten this work to.

@symantec:
    i expect the patch which will adress this issue. if i must deinstall sepm, then the product will replaced by another manufacturer. and also on all my other installations.

it's your job to test software for which my customers pay money.

Martin

• 18.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Jan 04, 2012 04:49 PM

another installation

new sbs2011 with sbe 12.1.1000.157 RU1

sepm configured but no sep clients rolled out by sepm at this time, the server is since 3 weeks still in test and should go into production on  january 8

the logfile sem5.log is about 16 gigabytes

has someone any idea how i can temporarly bypass this bug ??

Martin

• 19.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Jan 05, 2012 10:26 AM

Yes, it is urgent to get a patch for this problem. Discs run out of space.

StefanW

• 20.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Jan 05, 2012 11:37 AM

actually i delete the logfile weekly by this planned batch

net stop semsrv
    net stop SQLANYs_sem5
    attrib -r "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.log"
    del "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.log"
    net start SQLANYs_sem5
    net start semsrv

Martin

• 21.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Jan 09, 2012 06:41 AM

Hi

Just remember that SBE only uses embedded database and not SQL.

StefanW

• 22.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Jan 11, 2012 04:51 PM

I have the same problem with 2 separate clients.  Both files are now over 9GB in size.  I have an open case with support, but haven't heard back now in over two days.  There is now way to truncate the log file in the SBE edition, only in Enterprise.  Per technical support, "it's supposed to occur automatically every 4 hours.'

I have re-created the sem5.log file.

1. Stop SEPM and database services.
    2. Rename  the current sem5.log (C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\DB\)
    3. Click Start, click on Run and Type "CMD" then click OK
    4. In the Command Prompt type: "CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\ASA\win32\" and press Enter this will change directories to the folder containing dbsrv11.exe.
    5. To force the recreation of sem5.log. Type: dbsrv11 -f "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.db" and press Enter
    6. Click Start, click on Run and Type "services.msc" then click OK and start the Symantec Embedded Database Service
    7. Start the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service

I have manually truncated the log file.

1 - Stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection services and the embedded database service
    If SEPM is in a localized version might be located in another part of the services list.

2 - Truncate the Embedded Data Base Transaction log manually with the following command:

"%Programfiles%\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\ASA\Win32\sem5.db"dbsrv11.exe -m

3 - Restart all Symantec Endpoint Protection Services disabled in step 1.

I have also unchecked most of the logging in SEPM.

Client logs can cause this file to grow to this size.

Check the firewall policy to see what rules are being logged.

• SEPM
    • Policies
    • Firewall
    • Firewall policy
    • Edit the policy
    • Firewall Rules
    • Customize the default settings
    • Check the rules that have Log set to Yes
    • Check if there is any rule set to YES for network packets and change it to No

Some of the rules that have log set to Yes can be causing the sem5.log to grow so large.

Nothing has fixed the problem of the ever growing sem5.log file angry

• 23.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Jan 25, 2012 03:12 PM
    I had the problem with a Small Business version 12.1.671.4971 SEPM but since I did the upgrade to Small Business SEPM 12.1.1000.157 RU1, works regularly.

In the Small Business Edition not there the localhost site.

• 24.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Feb 06, 2012 09:31 AM

Hi

That sounds really good. :-)
    What's the time horizon for the Maintenance Patch (MP1)?

StefanW

• 25.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Feb 08, 2012 02:01 PM

Hopefully this will be released soon. I have a SBS 2011 server almost run out of space. Database log file was over 40gb and only 3 clients connected.

• 26.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Feb 08, 2012 03:31 PM

Just got off the phone with Symantec Support.

They had me create a batch file with the below in it.  We then scheduled it to run on a weekly basis through the "Scheduled Task" list.

net stop semsrv

net stop SQLANYs_sem5

attrib -r "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.log"

del "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.log"

net start SQLANYs_sem5

net start semsrv

Hope this helps as I've ran into this a few times now with Small Business Edition.

Thanks,

Andy

• 27.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Feb 09, 2012 02:23 PM

Hi All,

As Andy suggested, the use of a batch file seems to be the best option while awaiting MP1 but even if there should not be any problem by applying such script, keep in mind that this is not official or supported. 

For those who would have difficulties, go to the How To:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-periodically-free-space-used-sem5log-epsbe-121-ru1

Best regards,

Shulk

• 28.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Feb 13, 2012 03:41 AM

Hi

I'm not allowed to visit the site suggested..

StefanW

• 29.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Feb 14, 2012 06:40 PM

"We're sorry, but the author of this page has restricted access to it."

• 30.  RE: Database size and site properties

• 31.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Feb 17, 2012 02:50 AM

Hi All,

Yes, this issue is quite annoying and might happen also in RU1 but it should be fixed with the next Maintenance Patch (MP1).

The workaround to free up space is to stop the database service, to move/delete the sem5.log and then restart the database service.

See:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-periodically-free-space-used-sem5log-epsbe-121-ru1

Regards,

Shulk.

• 32.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Feb 27, 2012 02:56 AM

Hi All,

A good news regarding the Sem5.log! There is no need to wait MP1 since we have release a fix tool to correct this issue.

Don't hesitate to contact us and we will provide you with the fix tool.

Thanks to all for your patience and understanding ;)

Best regards,

Shulk

• 33.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Feb 28, 2012 07:50 PM

Good, thanks you sir! incase do we still need to contact symc techsupport?

• 34.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Feb 29, 2012 05:10 PM

hi shulk

wow!
    symantec uses 2 month for a patch which all above users uses weeks / monts ago. all users has spent many hours to isolate / fix one more bug from symantec av solution.

and now we must spent again more time to get your patch ????!!!?!??!!???!!!!?!

publish the link and all is done. nothing more

Martin

• 35.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Mar 01, 2012 02:56 AM

If you are not happy with the help I am providing, then I am sorry but there was nothing more I could do before.

Best regards,

Shulk.

• 36.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Mar 02, 2012 03:14 AM

Hi All,

Now I’ve checked on 5 separate SBE 12.1 installations I’ve upgraded with this hotfix and they ALL work perfectly now!

Just request this hotfix and get it fixed now.

This case is finally closed! :-)

StefanW

• 37.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Mar 08, 2012 06:15 AM

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) Database Transaction Log (sem5.log) Consumes Hard Drive Space in SEP SBE 12.1 RU1
    Article: TECH178718   |  Created: 2012-01-11   |  Updated: 2012-02-29   | 
    Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178718 

• 38.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Mar 08, 2012 06:19 AM

Hi Gilbert,

The fixtool is being distributed on a case-by-case basis.  The Tech Support Engineer will be able to quickly examine a diagnostic file (.sdbz) from your SEP SBE 12.1 RU1 SEPM and determine if the server is affected by this specific issue.  If so, they can provide this tool.

As a best practice, I do strongly encourage all admins to upgrade all of their SEPMs and clients to the forthcoming SEP 12.1 RU2 when it is available, even if thsi specific issue has already been fixed by the tool. 

Many thanks, all, and best regards! 

• 39.  RE: Database size and site properties

Posted Mar 08, 2012 07:16 AM

Hi Mick2009,

The article is now no longer up to date since the Fix Tool, which re-enable the database log truncation and re-indexing, has been released and is available through the Support.

Best regards,

Shulk