Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Apply System Configuration Task Failed

Posted Aug 25, 2011 09:11 AM

Brand new to 7.1, coming from a DS 6.9 background.

I have an Initial Deployment Job that Deploys my image, Reboots to Production, and then attempts an Apply System Configuration task - which fails everytime. Drilling down to the Task Instance Details, it just gives me Return Code 1 as the reason.

The Apply System Configuration Task attempts to use the %SERIALNUM% variable as the Computer Name, and then join the PC to the Domain. I have verified the account credentials of the domain admin acct used to join, so I'm pretty sure it's the token it doesn't like. Is there a list of valid tokens for 7.1 somewhere? I'm pretty confident that %SERIALNUM% worked in 6.9... My desired result is to have the Dell Service Tag be the PC Name, which in all versions of Altiris I've used before now translated to "Serial Number"

Also - are there logs somewhere I could review to try to verify my assumption that it's the variable causing my issue. I was led to believe this was a very 'click your way through to all the info' type of solution, but the end result of 'Return Code 1' is less than helpful!

• 2.  RE: Apply System Configuration Task Failed

Posted Aug 25, 2011 09:35 AM

Take out the variable and put a hostname in. If it works its the variable.

• 3.  RE: Apply System Configuration Task Failed

Posted Aug 25, 2011 10:19 AM

Yes, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear with what I'm asking... The task does work if I define a specific PC Name.

I'm trying to get a variable for the Task in my Initial Deploy Job that will put in the Dell Service Tag. I have a whole school to get new systems deployed and that's what they want as PC names...

• 4.  RE: Apply System Configuration Task Failed

Posted Aug 25, 2011 10:48 AM

Try %SERIALNUMBER%

• 5.  RE: Apply System Configuration Task Failed

Posted Aug 25, 2011 11:03 AM

I have. That was the first one, as the Documention embedded right in the Console offered %CUSTOMERTOKEN% and %SERIALNUMBER% as examples.

I even tried it with different case - %Serialnumber% as I saw it that way in the 'What's new in 7.1' document somewhere...

I know it KNOWS what the Service Tag is, and I've seen it labeled different things - on the Identification tab in Manage Computers it lists as "Internal Serial Number", in the SQL db I found it under the field "Hardware Serial Number". I even see a Token in the Deployment section of Settings called "Compter Serial Number" which the SQL statement references the aforementioned Hardware Serial Number field!

I just don't know what variable will work to call that in the Task!!

• 6.  RE: Apply System Configuration Task Failed

Posted Aug 25, 2011 02:01 PM

The Deployment plug-in might not be ready to do the post configuration. If you look at the installed plug-in do u see the deployment one?

• 7.  RE: Apply System Configuration Task Failed
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 26, 2011 04:15 AM

In case you dont get it working you can use a little tool called wsname.exe. this can name a PC to its serial number. add it an as part of a job.

• 8.  RE: Apply System Configuration Task Failed

Posted Aug 26, 2011 05:53 AM

I found this information:

"The Deployment Solution 7.1 SP1a MR1 contains the following enhancements:

[...]

Apply System Configuration supports tokens for hostname 

[...]

note: I am not sure if version "SP1a MR1" is the same as "SP1b".

• 9.  RE: Apply System Configuration Task Failed

Posted Aug 29, 2011 11:24 AM

I never did find a way to get it to work using Apply System Config, but adding a Task to the Job that called wsname (from mystuff.clarke.co.nz) did exactly what we wanted.