Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Symantec Endpoint XFER Folder Looping, Getting Out of Hand

• 1.  Symantec Endpoint XFER Folder Looping, Getting Out of Hand

Posted Aug 06, 2009 12:02 PM
    Hello,

We're having a huge issue systemwide with Symantec Endpoint, version 11.0.4202 (release MR4 MP2), where the XFER folder and Quarantine folder in the (/All Users/Application Data/Symantec/Symantec Endpoint Protection/) directory keep looping, essentially multiplying itself endlessly. What appears to happen is Symantec will detect a "Trojan Horse" or "Downloader" in the XFER folder and move it to quarantine. For some reason it will immediately redetect the same thing in the XFER folder, and repeat this process endlessly.

This occurs ONLY after a full scan is run. We have a scheduled full scan to run every Thursday morning at 2:00 A.M. when nobody is logged on to any computer. When we arrive in the morning Symantec's reporting over 60,000 new viruses quarantined.

This is not just one computer but many. Not all of them do it either. It is becoming a major concern and I thought that this was fixed in the latest release, but evidently something is being buggy.

I have read through this forum and have noticed others with the same problem, but the given solution is generally just to clear it out, uninstall, etc. I would like to see at least some acknowledgement or help on this issue if possible, as it will be very irritating to have to go throughout each of our buildings and hunt down these machines manually just to clear out a detection error.

If any other information is needed, please let me know. I am more than willing to take screenshots or gather data to get this resolved.

Here is a screenshot noting this:
    imagebrowser image

• 2.  RE: Symantec Endpoint XFER Folder Looping, Getting Out of Hand

Posted Aug 06, 2009 12:10 PM
    I see that you stated you have mr4 mp2. Is this accurate for your clients as well? We have seen that any process that may touch our temporary files in that directory may cause auto-protect to then scan the files. An example of this is windows indexing service.

Here is a document discussing how to also delete the files.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009042217073548

If the quarantine folder is emptied, then when we try to scan the quarantined files to see if we can repair them, nothing will be in the folder, therefore nothing will be copied to the xfer_tmp folder.

If this doesn't help with your issue, I suggest calling into support and opening a case. There is a tool called symdeltemps that you can obtain which can delete these files.

• 3.  RE: Symantec Endpoint XFER Folder Looping, Getting Out of Hand

Posted Aug 06, 2009 12:15 PM
    Thanks for the reply Steve.

The version my clients are running is: 11.0.4202.75

It's not the xfer_tmp folder that is clogging up. It's just the XFER folder that is clogging.

This is the exact location of one of them:

c:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Symantec/Symantec Endpoint Protection/xfer/4a609339.tmp

I can delete the folders just fine (it takes like 10 minutes though for Windows to get through the sheer mass of files to delete). No errors there.

• 4.  RE: Symantec Endpoint XFER Folder Looping, Getting Out of Hand

Posted Aug 06, 2009 12:21 PM

• 5.  RE: Symantec Endpoint XFER Folder Looping, Getting Out of Hand

Posted Aug 06, 2009 12:24 PM
    EDIT

• 6.  RE: Symantec Endpoint XFER Folder Looping, Getting Out of Hand

Posted Aug 06, 2009 12:25 PM
    Yes, it is the same problem. I realize that I should have just added to that original thread, but I felt that creating a new one with more detailed information and screenshots would be more beneficial now that I've had time to see how the problem occurs/develops.

It seems to be compounding and getting worse as the months pass. New machines are receiving this issue that weren't back then.

• 7.  RE: Symantec Endpoint XFER Folder Looping, Getting Out of Hand

Posted Aug 06, 2009 12:26 PM
    That location may have them as well. The fix in mr4 mp2 that you may have seen is specifically for dwhxxxd.tmp files in the windows temp folder or in the %temp% folder.

I would suggest investigating into see if there is another process touching our files. as I stated before the windows indexing service can be suspect. I have also seen were users have inadvertently installed software such as spybot S&D or adaware, that have a real-time scanner as well. So when our process dumps the quarantine into the XFER folder, that other program sees that and scans the files. This will then cause our auto-protect to see those file i/o's and then re-scan the files again.

I hope this helps.
    I would also like to say that we have gotten reports of this. But in the end, every case we have seen, this issue has been caused by another process touching our files.

• 8.  RE: Symantec Endpoint XFER Folder Looping, Getting Out of Hand

Posted Aug 06, 2009 12:28 PM
    Ok, thanks for the advice Steve. I will take a closer look and see what may be happening in regards to other processes interfering.

• 9.  RE: Symantec Endpoint XFER Folder Looping, Getting Out of Hand

Posted Aug 06, 2009 12:51 PM
    Steve,

Is there any good way of narrowing this down? The machines are not logged in when the scheduled scan starts (they are at the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen) so that limits what processes we have running.

You mentioned the windows indexing service. Are you recommending we turn that off?

• 10.  RE: Symantec Endpoint XFER Folder Looping, Getting Out of Hand

Posted Aug 06, 2009 02:09 PM
    Can I ask what the purpose of the XFER folder is and what part it actually plays in the quarantining of a virus?

To my understanding, the XFER folder should be emptied when the virus actually becomes quarantined. However, that doesn't appear to be happening with any of the detections on these machines. As I mentioned it loops endlessly but never ends up clearing the older detections.

• 11.  RE: Symantec Endpoint XFER Folder Looping, Getting Out of Hand

Posted Dec 23, 2009 12:38 PM
    I know this is an old threat, but my reply might help another since this is ongoing issue to this date.

History:
    The xfer folder is for items that have been transferred from an older version of Symantec. The issue started to happen when you choose not to delete or purge quarantine files when you upgrade.

However, this has been an issue since most upgrades are done by network with elevated permissions for all machines... when a limited access users logs to any of these upgraded workstations, the will not be given the options to delete and remove these files.

Diagnostic:
    The main issue is they will be there even if you delete tmp files from your system. All replies from Symantec techs were limited to deleting these files, but they have not addressed the issue of size and rescan. These will not even show in the manager console so you can not standard or reconfigure options for purge once that done ...
    my experience with this issue has been more than painful. quit frankly not impressed by Symantec responses and fixes for the issue (non has been produced yet)

Final Thought:
    there is a tool you can download from Symantec ftp site (Symantec Cleanup tool) it will remove all Symantec products from your workstation ...
    i have also noticed that most upgrades were having this issue for both 11.0.2 & 11.0.5 versions when sylnk replacer is used.
    bottom line, there is no easy way of fixing this issue. maybe in the next version of Endpoint. if you have 100s of pcs, then you can start the crying ... if you have 10 or around, i would suggest to remove all endpoint clients using Symantec cleanup tool then create a deployment package & store it in a network drive... and do installation from there one by one. once done, you can copy the sylnk.xml file from server endpoint and replace all workstations with that file ....

I hope this helps someone