Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  I'm getting tired of not having a clue about what is being updated

Posted Jan 13, 2016 08:15 PM

Just released:

Posted on 1/13/2016 4:44:13 PM:

We are excited to announce an endpoint protection upgrade to the most advanced technologies from Symantec to protect your computers from the growing number of threats. New endpoint installations will receive the upgraded agent and a staged release of the LiveUpdate for existing agents will take place over the next month. This update will not apply to server OSs.

During the entire update, you will continue to be fully protected, however, each computer will require a restart to complete the upgrade to the new protection agent. You will be able to see which computers require restarts to complete the update in your management console>Computers page and individual computers will receive local reminders to restart as well.

And as always, ensure that your redistributable packages are updated with the latest security software for distribution within your environment.

If you have questions or if you need technical help, please visit our self-help page at https://support.symantec.com/en_US/endpoint-protection-cloud.64355.html, contact the customer support team at https://support.broadcom.com or create a support ticket in your management console.

Sincerely,

The Symantec Customer Communications Team

What would have been normal for any other software vendor announcing an update would have been a link to a web page that contained a summary of the changes being made.  But not Symantec!  No, for some inexplicable reaon they would rather keep their partners and customers in the dark.

Here's hoping someone at that 800 number actually knows what is going on...

• 2.  RE: I'm getting tired of not having a clue about what is being updated

Posted Jan 13, 2016 08:26 PM

Read the email and wondered the same thing. The scary part is the upgrade just gets pushed (servers excluded) but no way to test and verify upgrades don't break anything? Yikes...

• 3.  RE: I'm getting tired of not having a clue about what is being updated

Posted Jan 15, 2016 05:47 PM

I ran a summary report.

My computer is nis-22.5.4.24 while most of my clients are running nis-21.5.0.19.

I can see one site where a computer requires a reboot, which indicates to me that the update took place.

Still not sure if this is a minor bits improvement or the 12.1.6 update for the cloud.

• 4.  RE: I'm getting tired of not having a clue about what is being updated

Posted Feb 09, 2016 04:44 PM

The saga continues...

Posted on 2/9/2016 1:09:31 PM:

Symantec is continuing its upgrade of Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition (SEB SBE) starting February 11, 2016, and completing on February 18, 2016.

Impact
    During the 8-day update period, agents will continue to be fully protected. Older agents will require a reboot to complete the upgrade process. You can see which computers require a reboot on the Computers page of the management console. Individual computers will receive local reminders to as well.

And as always, ensure that your redistributable packages are updated with the latest version for distribution within your environment as older packages will no longer work once the upgrade begins.

Schedule
    New endpoint installations of SEP SBE will immediately receive the upgraded agent on the start date, while a staged update of existing agents will take place using LiveUpdate throughout the upgrade period. This upgrade will not apply to server installations.

• Start Date: February 11, 2016
    • End Date: February 18,

To see what’s new and for more information about this upgrade, see the Release Notes here https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.DOC9189.html

Hmmm.  Two days notice about a week's worth of possible phone calls and emails.

Time to get an explanatory email out to all of the clients....