Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Error 29004 when trying to create an Image

Posted Jul 28, 2006 02:04 PM
    I have been working for the past week trying to get my imaging solution setup. I have 10 brand new computers that I want to not have to setup manually - just clone.

I'm booting off floppies as I couldn't get the CD to work properly, and my end game is to get a network bootable slutio so i don't need a disl, but I'll tackle all that later - i just want to start slow.

I boot of floppies, and run ghost cast, and get my session all setup, it starts to run and then hangs up at the 2nd file, creating MFT log or whatever. After a few minutes it bombs out and gives me error 29004.
    I went to the symantec support site and they suggested a few switches to try, so i remade my boot disk several times trying -FNI and -FFX -FNI but neithe worked.
    I also tried -NOIDE, that didnt' work either.

Can anyone help me?

The machine is a whitebox Athlon 64 with an SATA 80GB drive.

Thanks!
    Andrew

• 2.  RE: Error 29004 when trying to create an Image

Posted Jul 29, 2006 03:42 AM
    29004 is the hard sector read error, and the -FRO switch (which basically ignores all media errors) is the only way to proceed when that occurs. In the old days I'd get you to check your master/slave switches and ensure the master is at the end of the IDE cable but with SATA all that is a thing of the past.

The other switches you've read about try different drive access techniques (basically, disabling the internal drivers and using the BIOS) since it seems reasonable to assume that the error is spurious if the source machine is brand new, and so a different access method should bypass the read error.

Since they haven't helped you, the next thing I would suggest trying is a BartPE boot CD if you can - you mention you've had troubles with getting a boot CD to work, but I assume that is that with boot CDs built directly from the Ghost Boot Wizard. Trying Ghost32 with BartPE may help definitively establish whether that is just a Ghost issue or something more serious.

> whitebox Athlon 64 with an SATA 80GB drive.

If you happen to know the motherboard manufacturer (if it is displayed during the POST) then that may help us as well.

• 3.  RE: Error 29004 when trying to create an Image

Posted Jul 31, 2006 02:02 PM
    OK, i solved the problem!

Apparently this board, a Gigabyte GA - K8N Ultra -9 F6, has onboard RAID supporting RAID5. The RAID was disabled by BIOS but RAID5 wasn't. I noticed in the boot sequence and made an adjustment in BIOS to disable it.

Booted to a set of Ghost Floppies (with no switches mind you) and it worked great.

Thanks for your efforts. I did Try BartPE but i couldn't get it to find my network card, i have an older version of PE i got from a friend who compiled it about a year and a half ago so this NIC driver may not have been included.

Thanks for the help!
    Andy

• 4.  RE: Error 29004 when trying to create an Image

Posted Jul 31, 2006 07:56 PM
    That's a great catch, thanks for sharing how you fixed it!