Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Ghost and Windows 8

• 1.  Ghost and Windows 8

Posted Jan 17, 2013 02:23 PM

Are there any plans to provide support for Windows 8?

• 2.  RE: Ghost and Windows 8

Posted Jan 17, 2013 04:30 PM

It should appear in the next major release of Ghost Solution Suite (version 3). However, the ship date of V3 has slipped several times and so it is anyone's guess when (or if) it will appear. I would suspect that if it does not appear this year then it's unlikely to appear ever, as there will be insufficient user base left to cover the development costs.

• 3.  RE: Ghost and Windows 8

Posted Feb 05, 2013 12:24 PM

hi,

Check this blog

Ghost Solution Suite 2.5.1 support matrix for Windows 8

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/ghost-solution-suite-251-support-matrix-windows-8

• 4.  RE: Ghost and Windows 8

Posted Feb 05, 2013 12:55 PM

I believe the O/P is asking when Ghost will provide support for Windows 8 - this implies the full capabilities of the product and not just a matrix of what functions still happen to work in the existing release.

• 5.  RE: Ghost and Windows 8

Posted Feb 05, 2013 01:09 PM

Remove the content...!!

• 6.  RE: Ghost and Windows 8

Posted Feb 05, 2013 01:38 PM

Thanks EdT; That is exactly what I'm asking for. Testing the product tells me what it can do. I want to know if Symantec is going to relaease a version that fully supports Windows 8 (or Windows 7 for that matter).

• 7.  RE: Ghost and Windows 8

Posted Feb 05, 2013 05:07 PM
    The current version 2.5.1 fully supports Windows 7

• 8.  RE: Ghost and Windows 8

Posted Feb 06, 2013 08:20 AM

No 2.5.1 does not fully support Windows 7; Autoinstall does not work, not that it worked all that well on XP.

• 9.  RE: Ghost and Windows 8

Posted Feb 06, 2013 10:38 AM

Forget AutoInstall. Ghost is first and foremost an imaging tool and was never intended as an application deployment solution, for which you would be far better off using tools which are intended for that purpose.

Since Windows 7 and 8 run the user in a different session to the operating system, any deployment solutions need to be able to take account of this. I very much doubt that Symantec will spend any developer time on this. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463353.aspx)

• 10.  RE: Ghost and Windows 8

• 11.  RE: Ghost and Windows 8

Posted Jun 28, 2013 06:33 AM

I changed for Acronis: www.acronis.com ...

After all, it seems that Symantec does not give much importance to the product Ghost and its users ...

I used Norton Ghost 15 in Windows 7, the responses of support, that the product does not work on Windows 8 but keeps running in Windows 7 are disrespectful to our intelligence or our suggestion to uninstall Windows 8 and continue using Windows 7 if we are to continue using Norton Ghost? Sincerely, I preferred switch to another solution of Back Up!

• 12.  RE: Ghost and Windows 8

Posted Jun 28, 2013 07:30 AM

Ghost was never intended to be a primary backup tool, and therefore using a product like Acronis for backup is really the best solution to ensure automatic backups.