Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  iPad support

Posted May 18, 2010 04:12 PM
    Management has recently purchased a few iPads for use in our organization. Does Altiris TMS support iPads? If so, does anyone have any experience with them in Altiris? For that matter, what about iPhones? Are you creating new device types, etc.? I'm looking for some best practices for these as well.

• 2.  RE: iPad support

Posted May 18, 2010 04:44 PM
    We track them as manually created assets in Asset management Suite, but as of today there is no official support for managing these these devices. 

Until it's officially released you can check out some tools Apple has created to help you manage iPhones.  Not entirely robust in my opinion, but worth checking out.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/integration/

Their guides along the right hand side of the above page were particularly valuable as well as their configuration utility.

Note: I haven't tried the configuration utility with the iPad yet as the only one I have access to is a personal device and not used for business.

• 3.  RE: iPad support
    Best Answer

Posted May 19, 2010 09:22 AM
    We're in the same boat -- I think we've brought in a dozen or so since the initial release of the iPad Wi-Fi version.

I initially listed them as Computer assets but they quickly got lost in the mix.  I wound up creating a new resource type with a base type of Computer, but excluded the network resource details, power consumption and rack units dataclasses since they didn't really apply.  This way we can still record the cost info, serial number, ownership, etc.

Since there's no agent for them, they're treated similar to monitor assets and it's up to process to ensure the inventory remains accurate on them.

One of the things I liked the most about making iPads their own data class is that I tweaked the default values of the asset page so my data entry efforts were minimal when keying in new assets (depreciation/warranty info set appropriately, Manufacturer already listed as Apple, etc.)

Regarding the iPhone subject, we did something similar there as well.  We created a new resource type (Smartphone -- since we have iPhones, Blackberries, and Androids in our environment) with a base resource type of Cell Phone.  We have a Smartphone data class tied to this resource type which captures data like the ESN, service provider, etc.

Hope this helps!

• 4.  RE: iPad support

Posted May 20, 2010 11:47 AM

I was hoping for some type of native support. :( But I guess I'll have to stick with a new resource type. Thanks.

• 5.  RE: iPad support

Posted May 20, 2010 12:08 PM

If so, please remember to 'mark as a solution', thank you.