Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Most SEP clients not updating

Posted Apr 06, 2012 10:05 AM
      |   view attached

I'm having an issue with one of my sites. Most of the clients aren't downloading updates from the server. If I tell it to update content (in the SEPM console), the clients will usually update (it sometimes takes me telling them to update 3 or 4 times before they actually do update) but they won't update automatically. My clients range from SEP 11 RU4 to SEP 11 RU7 and my server is SEP 11 RU7. Most of the clients having issues are XP SP3 although some are W7 and 2008R2. If I have them connect to the SEPM server at our main site, they update without a problem. I've rebuilt the server but it hasn't helped any.

I'm attaching a debug file I got from SylinkMonitor (I followed the directions on http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103369).

What can I do to try to fix this?

Attachment(s)

txt
    sylinkmonitor.txt   23 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Most SEP clients not updating
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 06, 2012 10:53 AM

Hello,

Upon checking the Logs, we found the following - 

9D332E63131C9A8DDD7B77B620B
    04/06 08:56:38 [3028] <SendUrlAndReceiveResponse:>SMS return=500
    04/06 08:56:38 [3028] <ParseHTTPStatusCode:>500=>500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
    04/06 08:56:38 [3028] <PostEvent>going to post event=EVENT_SERVER_ONLINE
    04/06 08:56:38 [3028] <PostEvent>done post event=EVENT_SERVER_ONLINE, return=0
    04/06 08:56:38 [3028] <ScheduleNextUpdate>Reset Heartbeat factor index, hearbeat=300 seconds

Check this Article and work on the steps provided in it.

After migration to 11.0 RU7 clients are not updating or connecting - Sylink.log 500 internal server error

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH168828

OR / AND

Possible Causes: Legacy proxy settings in the registry still persist after environmental changes on client machine.

Solution

The legacy proxy settings can be removed by performing the following steps:

1.   Open the registry (Start->Run->type "regedit").

2.  Go to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\connections

3.  Delete the registry keys "DefaultConnectionSettings" and "SavedLegacySettings".

4.  Reboot the machine.

Note:  These registry keys will automatically regenerate after reboot of machine.

Also, this also could be caused due to incorrect proxy server information in the following registry location: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings

Removing the incorrect proxy info from this key and then rebooting allowed the client to communicate normally.

One important thing to keep in mind is that any incorrect proxy information must also be removed from the following two locations as well:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\DefaultConnectionSettings HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\SavedLegacySettings

If the settings are not removed from these two keys, they will repopulate the Internet Settings key after every reboot.

Remove the incorrect proxy information from all 3 registry locations noted above, then reboot.

Just to add, in many of my cases, where was an issue with the System Account at User Proxy Level. They had to Bypass the Proxy on the server.

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: Most SEP clients not updating

Posted Apr 07, 2012 01:36 AM

Solution

• Uninstall Liveupdate from Add remove programs and delete the instance from the machine.
      C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate
    • Then reinstall Liveupdate and register it with Symantec endpoint protection manager and Client as well if it's installed.
    • To register SEPM with LiveUpdate:
    • Click Start, then Run.
    • Type cmd, then click OK. This will bring up a command prompt.
    • At the command prompt type cd and the path to lucatalog.exe. By default the command would be:

cd C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin

• Type lucatalog.exe -update

• 4.  RE: Most SEP clients not updating

Posted Apr 07, 2012 03:16 AM

Hi Kevin,

well suggestion by Ajit, We had similar issue at our one of site SEPM, I run the command as ajit suggested but one more command left to mention, before run lucatelaog.exe -update command run also lucatalog.exe -cleanup in above described path, it will clean all content from live update folder , after running update command , it will apply fresh content on it , then run luall from command to update the SEPM.

If SEPM is updated and clients are not updating the try to check connectivity process as below link , earlier described by Mithun Sanghvi, Very nice article posted by him for connectivity between cleint or all clients to SEPM

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH95789

Regards,

Ajay Singh

• 5.  RE: Most SEP clients not updating

Posted Apr 09, 2012 08:24 AM

Thanks everyone. Mithun's solution worked. I have to edit the permissions on the web server.