Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Unlock Administrator Defined Scans

Posted Jun 15, 2009 02:58 PM
    We distribute an Un-Managed client to a large group of users. We define a weekly scan as the default, but want to allow our users to reschedule the scan time. How is this done using SEPM?

• 2.  RE: Unlock Administrator Defined Scans

Posted Jun 16, 2009 01:55 AM
    Change the Antivirus and antispyware settings

• 3.  RE: Unlock Administrator Defined Scans

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2009 02:11 AM

unmanaged clients cannot be managed using the SEPM.

if you want to make changes/edit the scan properties for the managed client, you can do it by configuring the Antivirus and Antispyware policy ---- Administrator defined scan.

cheers

Pete

• 4.  RE: Unlock Administrator Defined Scans

Posted Jun 19, 2009 03:38 PM
    So let me better clarify my circustances.

I want to create a unmanaged package to give to some of my users. These users will not be managed, but I want thier package to install with a default weekly scan that can be rescheduled. I want to specifiy the the scan options. Right now I'm exporting a unmanaged package using SEPM to a single executable as is stated in the SEP guides. Any ideas? Thanks for the help folks!

--Kevin

• 5.  RE: Unlock Administrator Defined Scans

Posted Jun 19, 2009 04:06 PM
    Creat a group in SEPM ,with policies and all the settings the way you want it.i.e go in AV/AS policy and set the scan schedule the way you want it.

When you export the package from SEPM, select the client group which has the policies the way you want your clients to have.And  put a check box where it says, export policy settings from the same group.

This should add the policy settings in the unmanaged client package.

......Barkha

• 6.  RE: Unlock Administrator Defined Scans

Posted Jun 19, 2009 04:10 PM
    I don't see any options in SEPM that make this possible.
    Maybe it's possible to change thru the registry.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\AV\LocalScans

• 7.  RE: Unlock Administrator Defined Scans

Posted Jun 19, 2009 04:45 PM
    imagebrowser image

• 8.  RE: Unlock Administrator Defined Scans

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 19, 2009 06:09 PM
    Hey Kevin,

Unfortunately there is no way for a Administrator-Defined Scheduled Scan to be edited by the user on their client. My suggestion would be to not designate a scheduled scan for those users that will be unmanaged by default and let them schedule their own.

If you wish to see a feature like this added in a future build please feel free to submit an enhancement request:
    https://engweb.symantec.com/enhancement

Hope that helps!

• 9.  RE: Unlock Administrator Defined Scans

Posted Jun 20, 2009 04:59 PM
    What is your overall goal for having your users reschedule the scan time? Are you scared that a scan will kick of when the users are using their computers? If this is the case you can make a setting where the users can hit "snooze" and the scan will kick off at a later time. You can even set the amount of times the users can delay the scan. This will assure the users are not affected by the scan and that the scans still happen. I don't know if this is your goal, but hopefully it helps.

Thanks
    Grant-

PS
    I also like the idea of instead having the users click snooze maybe the option of letting them "schedule a new time". This is even more effective and allows for greater flexibility. You should definetely submit this as an idea in our new idea's section of the website.