Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  System Logs:Server Activity - ErrorCode: 0x80020000

Posted May 20, 2011 09:21 AM

Hi,

Two days ago I started seeing this error in SEPM system logs/server activity :

"Failed to connect to the server. Make sure that the server is running and your session has not timed out. If you can reach the server but cannot log on, make sure that you provided the correct parameters. If you are experiencing network issues, contact your system administrator. ErrorCode: 0x80020000"

also if I look at scm-server-0.log I can see :

"SEVERE: Unknown Exception in: com.sygate.scm.server.task.ClientTransportInfoTask
    java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:258)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:317)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(HttpClient.java:687)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:632)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:652)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1064)
        at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(HttpURLConnection.java:373)
        at com.sygate.scm.common.communicate.Communicator.sendRequest(Communicator.java:302)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.task.ClientTransportInfoTask.run(ClientTransportInfoTask.java:116)
        at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:512)
        at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:462)
    com.sygate.scm.common.communicate.CommunicationException: Failed to connect to the server.

Make sure that the server is running and your session has not timed out.
    If you can reach the server but cannot log on, make sure that you provided the correct parameters.
    If you are experiencing network issues, contact your system administrator. ErrorCode: 0x80020000
        at com.sygate.scm.common.communicate.Communicator.sendRequest(Communicator.java:319)
        at com.sygate.scm.server.task.ClientTransportInfoTask.run(ClientTransportInfoTask.java:116)
        at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:5"

It appears sometimes every 30 min and sometimes only few times during day and I can also notice that some clients are disconnecting and then getting reconnected to SEPM when this error appears in logs.

I did check bunch of articles on support forums and tried some of solutions but nothing issue is still there. Database connectivity is also 100%.

Any kind of suggestion where to locate issue is appreciated.

• 2.  RE: System Logs:Server Activity - ErrorCode: 0x80020000

• 3.  RE: System Logs:Server Activity - ErrorCode: 0x80020000

Posted May 20, 2011 09:48 AM

Thanks Kumar,

I checked links you sent me and unfortunately both are not relevant to my issue as I don't have any Live update or replication errors.

I forgot to mention that this server has been running just fine in last 5 months and this is the first time I am seeing such errors. It is only single SEPM server ran in single site environment - no complicated configurations.

Any other ideas?

• 4.  RE: System Logs:Server Activity - ErrorCode: 0x80020000

Posted May 20, 2011 10:46 AM

If you run the SEP Support Tool on the SEPM server it may highlight any issues with configuration. 

Additionally you could post the Support Tool report here on the forums. I'd be happy to take a look at it to see if we can discern any further information from the SEPM logs. It also would probably be beneficial to enable logging in IIS for the Symantec Web Site and associated virtual directories as we may gleam some information out of those logs, such as if there is a specific return code occuring during the issue.

Otherwise, you could also take a look at the catalina.out log for the SEPM. In some situations this log will provide a bit more information regarding these types of login errors. Unfrotunately these types of Java -1 failed to connect to server errors essentially just tell us that something is causing the Java Virtual Machine to malfunction so we typically need to review logs and SEPM configurations to discover which specific reason is causing the failure of the JVM.

Regards.

• 5.  RE: System Logs:Server Activity - ErrorCode: 0x80020000

Posted May 20, 2011 11:50 AM
      |   view attached

I just ran SEP Support Tool and these are results:

- 1 error :

Error
    Name:  HTTP SSL
    Type:  Service
    Depends on:  HTTP
    Status Setting Default Actual
    Error Start Type Demand Start Auto Start
    Ok State Running Running
    Ok Log On As LocalSystem LocalSystem
    Ok Exit Code   The operation completed successfully.

- 5 warnings

All related to version of SEP I am running - Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0, RU6a
     - reminding me I need to update to RU6 MP3.

rest of tests went fine - all green.

Can I maybe mail you full report (3.2MB) instead of  posting here on the forums?

I would more prefer to keep server details private.

IIS logging is enabled and please see attached for latest catalina.out log from which I was only able to decipher this section which maybe looks like error :

" 4:18:12 PM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester error
    SEVERE: Parse Error at line 162 column 11: The content of element type "web-app" must match "(icon?,display-name?,description?,distributable?,context-param*,filter*,filter-mapping*,listener*,servlet*,servlet-mapping*,session-config?,mime-mapping*,welcome-file-list?,error-page*,taglib*,resource-env-ref*,resource-ref*,security-constraint*,login-config?,security-role*,env-entry*,ejb-ref*,ejb-local-ref*)".
    org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The content of element type "web-app" must match "(icon?,display-name?,description?,distributable?,context-param*,filter*,filter-mapping*,listener*,servlet*,servlet-mapping*,session-config?,mime-mapping*,welcome-file-list?,error-page*,taglib*,resource-env-ref*,resource-ref*,security-constraint*,login-config?,security-role*,env-entry*,ejb-ref*,ejb-local-ref*)"."

Thanks.

Attachment(s)

txt
    catalina_2.txt   139 KB 1 version

• 6.  RE: System Logs:Server Activity - ErrorCode: 0x80020000

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 20, 2011 12:18 PM

Hello,

Try to override the proxy settings for the server host or to allow 8443 via the proxy or re-configure the server to create a new web site during the installation.

OR / AND

Check if any ports are conflicting

In order to resolve this issue, you must either change the port that the conflicting application runs on, or alter the Tomcat port.

To alter the Tomcat port, following these steps:

1. Ensure that the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service is stopped.
    2. Right-click the server.xml file and click Edit to modify the file:
      \Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\conf\server.xml

For conflicts with port 8005, change the port to another unused port:
      port="8005"

For conflicts with port 9090, change the port to another unused port:
      port="9090"
    3. Save the changes to the "server.xml" file.
    4. Start the SEPM service.
    5. Attempt to login to the SEPM.

OR / AND

1. Open a command prompt.

2. run: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin\lucatalog –cleanup

3. run Lucatalog.exe –update

4. go to C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate then run LUALL.EXE

OR / AND

Try Repairing the SEPM from Add/ Remove Programs

• 7.  RE: System Logs:Server Activity - ErrorCode: 0x80020000

Posted May 20, 2011 01:54 PM

Hi,

No ports are conficting, proxy is not in use, live update is working flawlessly.

Not sure if repair will fix my issue but I am sure that Kurt was right and that something is causing the Java Virtual Machine to malfunction.

• 8.  RE: System Logs:Server Activity - ErrorCode: 0x80020000

Posted May 24, 2011 08:24 AM

Tried to repair SEP but after 2 hours I can see same errors in logs and server behaves the same.

Anyone has any other suggestion?

• 9.  RE: System Logs:Server Activity - ErrorCode: 0x80020000
    Best Answer

Posted May 26, 2011 09:32 AM

My irritating issue has been finally resolved.
    Strange enough all this time I did tried everything possible but I was not suspicious about SEP client installed on the server.
    Removal of SEP client was the last thing I wanted to try before creating support case with Symantec and it worked! All errors disappeared immediately when I removed SEP client from SEPM server which by the way has been deployed from same server and it was same SEP version as SEPM.
    It has been 48 hours now and not even one single error somewhere, only problem I had after removal of SEP client was that RAS service started to fail but that I solved doing registry fix from following article :

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103837&key=56824&actp=LIST

Anyways I am happy that I got this resolved but not impressed that all this time it was SEP client causing all these issues – it seems SEP is sometimes overprotective even from itself...