Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring and deploying client software, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 have additional requirements.

• 1.  Configuring and deploying client software, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 have additional requirements.

Posted Jun 15, 2009 01:03 AM
    Hi

I am installing Symantec endpoint protection 11, looking through the set-up guide and came accross this:

"Deploying client software to computers that run firewalls, and that run Windows
    XP, Windows Vista, or Windows Server 2008 have special requirements. Firewalls
    must permit remote deployment over TCP port 139 and 445 and the computers
    that are in workgroups and that run Windows XP must disable simple file sharing.
    Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 have additional requirements."

I have not been able to find the additional requirements that Vista needs.

Can you help

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Configuring and deploying client software, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 have additional requirements.
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 15, 2009 02:09 AM
    I just read through that entire section, and you are right it is a bit confusing. However I think it is referring to the two page number references right below the passage you quoted. In the document these are:

See “About disabling and modifying Windows firewalls” on page 52.
    See “About preparing computers for remote deployment” on page 53.

I read through both these sections and I highlighted the parts that relate to windows vista. I still think you should read through those two sections again though in case I forgot to mention something.

"About modifying Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 Firewall

Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 contain a firewall that is enabled by
    default. If the firewall is enabled, you might not be able to install client software
    remotely from Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console and other remote
    installation tools. You must configure Windows Firewall to allow components to
    communicate with each other. You must configure Windows Firewall before you
    install client software. You can also temporarily disable Windows Firewall on your
    clients before you deploy the client software.
    To configure Windows Firewall to allow you to install client software on Windows
    Vista and Windows Server 2008, you must enable file and printer sharing.
    Note: Client installation automatically modifies Windows Firewall during
    installation on Window Vista to allow specific processes access to your network
    and the Internet. You are not required to make any further modifications."

" About preparing computers for remote deployment

For Vista:
    ■ Disable the File Sharing Wizard.
    ■ Enable network discovery by using the
    Network and Sharing Center.
    ■ Verify that your account has elevated
    user rights."

Hope this clears this all up. This was somewhat confusing for me too, but this is what I assumed they were referring to when they said "additional requirements for vista"

Thanks
    Grant

• 3.  RE: Configuring and deploying client software, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 have additional requirements.

Posted Jun 15, 2009 04:23 AM
    Symantec Endpoint Protection: Preparing computers that run Windows Vista for remote client deployment
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/3ec2f0e3cc93a02288257353001ab1fc?OpenDocument