Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  After installing SEP 12.1 Beta, Mail Security for Exchange is not getting live updates

Posted Jul 01, 2011 01:02 PM

I installed the EPP 12.1 beta and all looks OK.  I now am getting alerts:

Virus definitions on the server: SERVER.demo.local are 5 days old. To remain protected, ensure that LiveUpdate is working properly.

For more information, visit http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH153185

I check out the link above, and there are NO errors in LU.  When I run it, it says that there are NO UPDATES availible.

Is the NEW LIVEUPDATE not know about the "Mail Security for Exchange"  Can I get reinstall MSforExchange?

There are no errors in the liveupdate.log file.

• 2.  RE: After installing SEP 12.1 Beta, Mail Security for Exchange is not getting live updates

Posted Jul 01, 2011 01:28 PM

SEP 12.1 doesn't register with LiveUpdate as SEP 11 used to (it's more like how SAV 10 and prior was).

I suspect...and correct me if I'm wrong...that you had SEP 11, and had gone into your Mail Security configuration and modified it so it would use the SEP defs...this is no longer possible.

I'd recommend contacting the Mail Security group for information on how to check and, if needs be, correct this.

• 3.  RE: After installing SEP 12.1 Beta, Mail Security for Exchange is not getting live updates

Posted Jul 01, 2011 01:44 PM

Chris is right--the LiveUpdate Engine (in use by SEP 12.1 client) is completely separate from Windows LiveUpdate (used by SEP 11.x, SEPM and Mail Security for Exchange/MSE). If memory serves, having scheduled LiveUpdate runs for SEP 11.x client and MSE often caused corruption if they ran at the same time, so it was frequently recommended that the schedule be removed from MSE. You will probably need to set a schedule for MSE again--you'll definitely want to speak to the Mail Security folks.

sandra

• 4.  RE: After installing SEP 12.1 Beta, Mail Security for Exchange is not getting live updates

Posted Jul 03, 2011 09:23 AM

Please see the following KB for more info: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH161644