Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Where can I get a copy of 'Cleanwipe' for SEP 11.x MR4 ?

Posted Mar 15, 2009 06:37 AM

Hi,

I've SEP 11.x MR4 installed onto an SBS2008 server, along with SEPM.

Initially I installed the SEP client with all the bells an whistles...Hmm..not such a good idea..

However I leart the error of my ways and uninstalled and reinstalled it with just Antivirus and AntiSpyware.

I'm getting the dreaded 'teefer' error in the event log on the server, apparently due to the previous install not uninstalling completely...which I gather I can only really eradicate by getting a copy of 'cleanwipe' and reinstalling the SEP client again.

I thought I'd put up with it for now as it's only a test platform.

But i'm now runniong into issues in other areas seemingly related to this.

Backup Exec 12.5 is now reporting that 'c:\windows\inf\oem2.inf is not present on the snapshot' and causing the bacup to not report a complete - sucessful, but rather a complete - with exceptions.

When I search the registry for oem2.inf....it has an entry for SEP, teefer and Symantec firewall..obviously part of the program which didn't uninstall correctly..

So I'd like to know where I can get a copy of 'Cleanwipe' for SEP 11.x MR4 so that I can address both issues.

BTW ..I'm not a big fan of the built in Administrator account being disabled in SBS2008...seems this causes quite a few programs to not uninstall completely/correctly..I find if you re-enable the Administrator account albeit temporarily and then logon as that account to perform your uninstall, then log off and then disable the account again then most programs will uninstall correctly/completely.

I'm finding that if you don't do that and you simply use the same administrative account that you created during the SBS2008 install to try and perform uninstalls....more often than not things do not go according to plan.

So far I've not had any issues actually installing programs using an account other than the built in Administrator.

But uninstalling appears to be a different affair..

Anyway...'Cleanwipe' anyone ?

Thanks

Jim.

• 2.  RE: Where can I get a copy of 'Cleanwipe' for SEP 11.x MR4 ?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 15, 2009 06:33 PM

Jim,  the only officially supported way to get a copy of cleanwipe is to contact our support department.  You can either do that online using https://mysupport.symantec.com or you can call them up, using the details here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

• 3.  RE: Where can I get a copy of 'Cleanwipe' for SEP 11.x MR4 ?

Posted Mar 16, 2009 06:47 AM

Hmmm...this is proving hard work..

Have called the UK Tech Support number and have now been passed through umpteen people who are all taking my details very thoroughly...and then passing me onto someone else....who then go through the whole detail taking process all over again..Hmmm not getting anywhere fast..perhaps I'll try the website approach..

Ah..the latest guy has finally got the picture and has just sent me the link...result..

Jim.

• 4.  RE: Where can I get a copy of 'Cleanwipe' for SEP 11.x MR4 ?

Posted Aug 11, 2009 11:26 AM

• 5.  RE: Where can I get a copy of 'Cleanwipe' for SEP 11.x MR4 ?

Posted Aug 12, 2009 02:46 AM
    Marking Paul's comment as solution and closing this discussion.