Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP Netshare: Issues opening network encrypted PDF files

Posted Jul 16, 2012 03:42 PM

My Product: PGP Netshare (PGP Desktop 10.2.1:4461)

Issue: When attempting to open any PDF files located network file storage I receive the error from Adobe Reader X 10.1.3 -

"Acrobat could not open '*Document Name*' becasue it's either not a supported file type or becasue the file has been damaged (for example,it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

Variables and Tests: 

• OS Tested with: Win7x32 and Win7x64
    • If file is moved local or to other network location not on network storage (Nimble Storage Array) they can be accessed without issue
    • Only PDF's are having issues being accessed, tested with docx, img files and various other random file types 
    • Attempted to access via UNC and Map Drive with same results

I read this post but it didn't provide much help and appeared to be closed without providing any answer.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netshare-1012-client-question-corrected-version

• 2.  RE: PGP Netshare: Issues opening network encrypted PDF files

Posted Jul 25, 2012 01:21 PM

Bueller...?

• 3.  RE: PGP Netshare: Issues opening network encrypted PDF files

Posted Jul 27, 2012 04:44 AM

Can you try disabling Protected Mode in Adobe Reader X?  I have had many issues with Adobe Reader and their so-called "Enhanced Security" mode, so it's well worth turning off to see if that has any effect.

1. Choose Edit > Preferences.

2. From the categories on the left, select Security (Enhanced).

3. Select the Enable Enhanced Security option.

4. Choose Off

Hopefully that will fix it.

• 4.  RE: PGP Netshare: Issues opening network encrypted PDF files
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 10, 2012 02:07 PM

This problem appeared to be related to the storage array setup, we just migrated to our Nimble CS240 Storage array and the problem went away. Hope any lost PGP souls find this in the future to help point them in the right direction for TS.