Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP 11 replication between embedded database and SQL Server database?

• 1.  SEP 11 replication between embedded database and SQL Server database?

Posted Apr 23, 2010 05:33 PM
    I am currently run SEP 11 MR5 with two management servers running the embedded database with replication and will be upgrading next week to SEP RU6. Recently I had some major issues with the embedded database and also corruption, which has lead me to considering moving one of the embedded databases to SQL. This instance of SQL will be on a remote server that is our production SQL 2005 Server. Is this possible to have replication when using two SEP management servers, with one running the embedded database and the other a remote SQL Server? If this is possible, what is the migration path?

• 2.  RE: SEP 11 replication between embedded database and SQL Server database?

Posted Apr 23, 2010 06:36 PM
    You should be able to replicate between an embedded and SQL server. I've included a document below for moving to SQL from the embedded DB.

Title: 'Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager: Moving from the Sybase Embedded Database to Microsoft SQL Server'
    Document ID: 2007092722095248

• 3.  RE: SEP 11 replication between embedded database and SQL Server database?

Posted Apr 23, 2010 06:56 PM
    Thanks for the information thomas_mashos. From reviewing that document it looks pretty straight forward. I will start with upgrading to RU6 on my existing two SEPMs and then follow the following steps from the document: 1) Disable replication 2) Backup the SEPM server certificate 3) Backup the embedded database 4) Move the backup copy of the embedded database 6) I will have the existing SQL Server 2005 preconfigured as documented in the Installation Guide 7) Uninstall the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and embedded database 8) Reinstall the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager configured to use a Microsoft SQL Server database 9) Restore the SEPM server certificate 10) Restore the backup copy of the database 11) Reconfigure the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager database to recognize Microsoft SQL Server At this point I assume that I can then reconfigure replication between SEPMs?

• 4.  RE: SEP 11 replication between embedded database and SQL Server database?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 23, 2010 11:02 PM

Hi Scott

We can establish replication between  embedded database and SQL Server database , for that we don't need to move to SQL
    the replication will be straight forwrad.

Install the Second site and selcect it as a Replication partner and then in database select SQL.

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/a04eda251f467978652574c6007a8deb?OpenDocument
    How to install the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager(s) for replication

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sql-server-replication-best-practice

• 5.  RE: SEP 11 replication between embedded database and SQL Server database?

Posted Apr 24, 2010 03:46 AM

Can we do that on multiple servers? Like 2 servers both replicating on the same third server?

• 6.  RE: SEP 11 replication between embedded database and SQL Server database?

Posted Apr 24, 2010 04:36 AM
    Yes !!!!!! You can do that on multiple servers? Like 2 servers both replicating on the same third server?

Regards...
    Ramji Iyyer

• 7.  RE: SEP 11 replication between embedded database and SQL Server database?

Posted Apr 24, 2010 07:10 AM
    Yes that is possible
    Say we have server A, B, C

A will Replicate to B
    A will also replicate with C

• 8.  RE: SEP 11 replication between embedded database and SQL Server database?

Posted Apr 24, 2010 10:20 AM
    We're planning on changing the server roles from 2 primary each having a backup (4 servers total) to 3 primary/replication and 1 for the reporting and monitoring only.

• 9.  RE: SEP 11 replication between embedded database and SQL Server database?

Posted Apr 26, 2010 12:35 PM
    Thanks Prachand, your suggestions will make this easier for my situation. Since Windows 2008 R2 is now supported, I want to try this for one the management servers. What I will do after upgrading to RU6, is install a third management server. It appears that I will need to create a third site by following the Knowledge Base article that Prachand referenced, called “How to install the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager(s) for replication.” During install of this third management server, I will choose Microsoft SQL Server as the database, which I will setup ahead of time on our productions database.

If I like this new management server using SQL server, what is the best way to eliminate one of the original two management servers along with its site? Or is there a better to install this third management server in a different way (e.g. additional server in one of the existing sites and then migrate to a SQL database)?

Also is there a way to designate only of the servers for generating and emailing reports instead of each one?

• 10.  RE: SEP 11 replication between embedded database and SQL Server database?

Posted Apr 26, 2010 12:51 PM
    Only Server will be the Base/Main Management server that is the SEPM installed first..After installed 3rd SEPM once you move the clients accordingly you can remove 2nd SEPM.

• 11.  RE: SEP 11 replication between embedded database and SQL Server database?

Posted Apr 26, 2010 03:28 PM

Yes, the server replication and database setup is somewhat flexible. Just be careful what happens to clients when you remove, (or change the IP address of) a SEPM server.
    Make sure you have your certificate backups is very important. Before removing a server, make sure all the clients are communicating with a different server.

Before you completely uninstall or powerdown the old server, you can simply remove it's replication connection. That way the old server will no longer be an active part of the server replication process, but it will still be online to redirect any clients who might reconnect to the new server at a later time (say, a worker was on vacation so their computer was powered down for 2 weeks).

Just so you are aware, server can also be installed in a "Site Partner" relation. This means you can have mulitple SEPM servers sharing the same SQL database. This is not a bad option if you have 2 servers in the same physical location and you want one server to be a reporting server -- they can also act as fail/overs for eachother.