Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  NSS Tool Definition

Posted May 20, 2009 12:04 PM
    How i can use NSS tool for standalone PC? While running NSS tool it's trying to connect Internet but PC don't have internet connection?
    can i download definition for NSS tool?

• 2.  RE: NSS Tool Definition

Posted May 20, 2009 12:09 PM
    How to run the Norton Security Scan on a machine with limited or no internet connectivity.

1. On a machine with network connection, follow Step 1. and 2. and extract the files to C:\VirusScan\NSS and launch NSS.exe.
    The Virus definitions will download to the local machine here: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymcData\virusdefs-2.5-e\<date.rev>).
    2. In the C:\VirusScan\NSS folder, create a folder called “VirusDef” (example C:\VirusScan\NSS\VirusDef)
    3. Copy all the virus definition folder content from \<date.rev> folder (example:20080725.003) into the VirusDef folder
    4. Copy the entire VirusScan folder to a thumb drive.
    5. Now you can start NSS.exe from the thumb drive. It may complain about definition might not be the latest, but you can skip that message.

Cheers,
    Thomas

• 3.  RE: NSS Tool Definition

Posted May 20, 2009 01:12 PM

I done all above steps, but it's getting errorimagebrowser image

• 4.  RE: NSS Tool Definition
    Best Answer

Posted May 20, 2009 01:40 PM
    How to run the Norton Security Scan using Rapid Release virus defs.

1. On a machine with network connection, follow Step 1. and 2. and extract the files to C:\VirusScan\NSS
    2. Download the current Rapid Release virus definitions, to C:\ from this location:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/rapidrelease.download.html.

3. In the C:\VirusScan\NSS folder, create a folder called “VirusDef”
    4. Open a command prompt
    Start> Run > Type “cmd” and hit Enter.
    5. Type the following:

- For the legacy Rapid Release update (symrapidreleasedefsx86.exe)
    c:\ <rapidrelease file name> /extract "c:\VirusScan\NSS\VirusDef"

- For the SEP Rapid Release update (symrapidreleasedefsv5i32.exe)
    c:\ <rapidrelease file name> /extract VIRSCAN.zip "c:\VirusScan\NSS\VirusDef"

6. Copy the entire VirusScan folder to a thumb drive.
    7. Now you can start NSS.exe from the thumb drive. It may complain about definition might not be the latest, but you can skip that message.

• 5.  RE: NSS Tool Definition

Posted May 21, 2009 08:05 AM
    Thank you Thomas, it's working