Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  deep freeze?

Posted Mar 11, 2010 11:01 AM
    Are there any symantec / altiris products that is simalar to deep freeze?

Thanks,
    John

• 2.  RE: deep freeze?

Posted Mar 11, 2010 11:35 AM
    You can kind of use Ghost, but I'd stick with Deep Freeze or a similar product.  I know Deep Freeze has documents on using Altiris to manage DeepFreeze and on updating Symantec AV products using Deep Freeze maintenance windows.  CleanSlate and SteadyState are your Deep Freeze alternatives.

• 3.  RE: deep freeze?

Posted Mar 12, 2010 10:40 AM
     Here is the info on how to use Altiris and Deep Freeze together:
    http://www.faronics.com/Faronics/Documents/DFEnt_AltirisIntegration.pdf

• 4.  RE: deep freeze?

Posted Mar 16, 2010 10:25 AM

We have this product and are planning to phase it out completely. It causes alot of issues with SW deployments and virus activities. The management console does not work very well at reporting client status, neither does using Altiris to control the product on the client. When the command is ran, there seems to always be a percentage of machines that does not change status causing SW rollout issues like SEP.

If I were to do it all over, I would use some other method to constrol the desktop rather than using Deep Freeze.

• 5.  RE: deep freeze?

Posted Mar 16, 2010 11:11 AM

I am sorry to hear that you have had so many problems with Deep Freeze. We use it and I love it. It keeps me sane. We don't have any problems with the console reporting status or with it conflicting with SEP.

Is SW "Symantec Workspace"?

• 6.  RE: deep freeze?

Posted Mar 16, 2010 11:36 AM

SW =  Software.

Basically when you deploy SEP or other applications to a machine that has Deep Freeze on it, the thaw commands do not always work. So those machines ends up reinstalling the same software everytime it reboots thinking the job has never been ran. And in the case of SEP results in duplicate GUIDs in our SEPM console.

And then there is the thaw and freeze with viruses on the machine, DF console not seeing all clients, consolenot connecting to a port yada yada.