ServiceDesk

View Only
  • 1.  Incidents Unable to Close or Reassign Tickets

Posted Apr 30, 2012 02:12 PM

I'm having a problem where some tickets are getting "locked" and I'm unable to reassign the incident or even close it out. I am able to add comments, but it seems like the navigation panel on the right is completely disabled. The last two incidents this happened on I ran a query and closed the tickets as orphans in the database, and had the customer resubmit the ticket. I don't want to keep doing this. Has anyone seen this before or have a fix for it?

I'm on ServiceDesk 7.1.

Thanks,

Steve

• 2.  RE: Incidents Unable to Close or Reassign Tickets

Posted Apr 30, 2012 10:49 PM

Are you seeing the tasks in the right hand panel, but you can't click on them?  I have seen this behavior once, and it was caused by a backslash (\) at the end of the task name.  I fixed it by removing the backslash from the task name in the database, and then the links were clickable.

• 3.  RE: Incidents Unable to Close or Reassign Tickets

Posted May 01, 2012 01:27 PM

That task or incident title field is really tricky. A lot of things can be entered there that can cause some major headaches. As Josh said a backslash can cause the HTML on a page to be messed up but we've seen an issue with longer titles and any character as, at least in our experience, SD converts the characters to their ascii equivelant which causes the titles to be too long and thus causing an issue where the task for the main process never gets created. It doesn't happen all the time but it does most of the time.

To get back to the issue at hand, when you see one of these tickets does it mention that the incident is leased or not? Even if not have you tried breaking a lease? In the history section of the ticket there may be a green box on one of the entries. Clicking it will bring up a window with some options. Somewhere in there there may be an item that says to break the lease...just really shooting in the dark tossing out ideas.

• 4.  RE: Incidents Unable to Close or Reassign Tickets

Posted May 02, 2012 09:55 AM

Some of the tickets I see tickets I see tasks on the right, others I don't. Some just don't have that menu. It seems that the longer titled tickets with a backslash might be causing the button not working issues. It also looks like most of the tickets with problems have been e-mails. I'm really not sure what's causing this, as we upgraded from 7.0 and didn't have this problem previously.

• 5.  RE: Incidents Unable to Close or Reassign Tickets

Posted May 02, 2012 09:38 PM

I have had that issue when we had SharePoint e-mails feed in to ServiceDesk.   The html in the description caused our heartache.   Had to add the workflow to strip the HTML out of it.   Then we had the functions on the right again.

Something I just added to our email monitor today is to check the length of the subject line.  I am capping it off at 100 for us.. if it is 100 or more, I am chopping it off.   If a user is going to send a book via e-mail in the subject line..then I have a feeling this might be an issue a tech will need to call them back on.   Probably can do something with the backslashes in the title.

I am not at work but I can post the screen shot tomorrow for the subject line, if you like.   It is simple but it is going to save me some Service Manager tickets.

• 6.  RE: Incidents Unable to Close or Reassign Tickets
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 04, 2012 03:11 AM

Backslash in the title (in 7.1 SP2 only in the end of the title) will cause the Smart Tasks to not work - you can click but nothing will happen. As Joshua said, manually removing the backslash from the task name in database works. Also, TECH154186. When this is happening, you will have the task entry in Incident History (green entry) and you will have Smart Tasks. SD up to and including 7.1 SP1 is affected, SD 7.1 SP2 only has this if backslash is in the end of the title.

Special characters and long incident titles, check: TECH133480, TECH133412. As far as I know, these are fixed in 7.1 SP2. When this is happening, you will have no task entry in Incident History and no smart tasks. SD up to and including 7.1 SP1 is affected, SD 7.1 SP2 is not.

If the entire right pane is not visible, but there is a task entry in Incident History, you are possibly seeing the problem with HTML (namely <style> tags) in the Description, issue in this KB article: TECH183216. All current SD versions (up to and including 7.1 SP2) are affected.

• 7.  RE: Incidents Unable to Close or Reassign Tickets

Posted May 04, 2012 10:36 AM

Thanks,

I'll look to implement those fixes in our environment. For the last issue with the <style> tags would it not make more sense to create a trigger similar to the first issue and remove the it instead of having to modify the workflow?

• 8.  RE: Incidents Unable to Close or Reassign Tickets

Posted May 08, 2012 08:13 AM

Jamie, thanks for this reply and for the possible solution.

• 9.  RE: Incidents Unable to Close or Reassign Tickets

Posted May 09, 2012 04:55 PM
      |   view attached

See if this helps.