Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Problems with SEP CONTENT DISTRIBUTION MONITOR and SQL 2008 R2

Posted Oct 27, 2010 04:03 AM

Hi,

We have a problem with the SEP CONTENT DISTRIBUTION MONITOR (4.7 Beta) when trying to access our SQL 2008 R2 database server.  Basically the logon failes then runnign the hta file.  The config.ini  is setup as follows:-

connection_type=OLEDB

ODBC_DSN=SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN
    ODBC_Username=
    ODBC_Password=

OLEDB_string=Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=********;Initial Catalog=sem5;Integrated Security=SSPI
    OLEDB_Username=sem5
    OLEDB_Password=*******

table_name_prepend=

Obviously I have *'d out the server/logon details.  This setting did work fine with a SQL 2005 server but with 2008 R2 we get the following:-

"Incorrect Username/Password. Verify the database connection credentials set withing the config.ini file.  Error Code: -2147217843"

Anybody else have this and if so how did you get around it??

• 2.  RE: Problems with SEP CONTENT DISTRIBUTION MONITOR and SQL 2008 R2

Posted Oct 27, 2010 04:09 AM

what is the authentication in SQL?

the password is for SEM5db; are u using sa password in place..

• 3.  RE: Problems with SEP CONTENT DISTRIBUTION MONITOR and SQL 2008 R2

Posted Oct 27, 2010 04:45 AM

SQL is set to mixed mode authentication.  We have only the SEM5 account assigned to the SEM5 database.  SA is not assigned to this database.

On the SQL server both the sem5 account and SA account have the same password for ease of use.

• 4.  RE: Problems with SEP CONTENT DISTRIBUTION MONITOR and SQL 2008 R2

Posted Oct 27, 2010 04:50 AM

Does your password have some special charectors in it?

• 5.  RE: Problems with SEP CONTENT DISTRIBUTION MONITOR and SQL 2008 R2

Posted Oct 27, 2010 05:26 AM

nope...Just 11 chars..8 letters and 3 numbers...

• 6.  RE: Problems with SEP CONTENT DISTRIBUTION MONITOR and SQL 2008 R2

Posted Oct 27, 2010 05:32 AM

Hi,

Did you also try changing to ODBC? (there is a parameter at the top of the config that you need to change)

This would use the existing ODBC connection that should be present already for connectivity to the SEPM DB (you'll still need to populate the uname and pword in the config.ini.

• 7.  RE: Problems with SEP CONTENT DISTRIBUTION MONITOR and SQL 2008 R2

Posted Oct 27, 2010 05:39 AM

Aha..I should have said I'm trying to run the app on a remote desktop away from the actual SQL server hence I'm using OLEDB as you can specify the server in there.  Can you do remote connection using ODBC??

The ultimate aim is to get this tool published via Citrix so our Local IS staff around the world can use it to view their GUP status's... hence the need to access the SQL server remotely so the app runs on Citrix rather than on the SQL server directly.

• 8.  RE: Problems with SEP CONTENT DISTRIBUTION MONITOR and SQL 2008 R2

Posted Oct 27, 2010 06:57 AM

Ok I've narrowed it down a bit.  The BUILTIN\Administrators account group was not int he Windows 2008 SQL securtity so have adedd this.

Now getting...

"Can access the SEPM database but not the tables.  You may need to set the table_name_prepend paramater in the config.ini file. Error Code:- 2147217865"

Ok so what table name needs to eb specified??

• 9.  RE: Problems with SEP CONTENT DISTRIBUTION MONITOR and SQL 2008 R2
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 27, 2010 08:00 AM

AHA...sorted it...

The table name that needed to be specified is "sem5."

I had been trying just sem5 but it needed the . after it to make it work..

All sorted now...

Seems SQL2008 R2 locks down the authentication more than the 2005 version hence the need to add the Administrators group into the Security in 2008 and then add my id into the Administrators group on the server.

Then once done access was working then apart from the table name prepend which was fixed by the above.

• 10.  RE: Problems with SEP CONTENT DISTRIBUTION MONITOR and SQL 2008 R2

Posted Oct 27, 2010 10:20 AM

good feedback. let me know any other feedback you have as you use it further.. Graham.