Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  How Do I Exclude a Process from Auto-Protect to NOT Scan Files Accessed by that Process?

Posted Mar 27, 2013 05:00 PM

Currently we're running Altiris in our environment to collect data off of end-points.

Basically it runs various processes and accesses every file within the system.

What I'm noticing is that SEP is coming in behind the Altiris processes and scanning EACH file that is accessed by it.

How do I add this as a "Trusted Process" to not scan any files it accesses within the filesystem?

I've tried adding every exception policy available and still encountering the issue.

• 2.  RE: How Do I Exclude a Process from Auto-Protect to NOT Scan Files Accessed by that Process?

Posted Mar 27, 2013 05:31 PM

There is no option to add a process as trusted.

There is an option to scan a file only when modified (decreases security)

There is also an option to not scan files when a trusted process accesses them but there is no documentation I can find to say what makes a process trusted.

• 3.  RE: How Do I Exclude a Process from Auto-Protect to NOT Scan Files Accessed by that Process?

Posted Mar 27, 2013 07:55 PM

Is there a way to add an exclusion to allow a process to access files without scanning every file touched?

• 4.  RE: How Do I Exclude a Process from Auto-Protect to NOT Scan Files Accessed by that Process?

Posted Mar 27, 2013 10:02 PM

If there is a way to manually set this, I have yet to find it.

• 5.  RE: How Do I Exclude a Process from Auto-Protect to NOT Scan Files Accessed by that Process?

Posted Mar 28, 2013 07:10 AM

Check this document

Symantec Endpoint Protection scan causes incremental backup jobs to perform a full backup

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102698

Edit: Additon to this you can set "Scan when file is modified" rather than "Scan when file is accessed" for Auto protect and check 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH168940&key=54619&actp=LIST

• 6.  RE: How Do I Exclude a Process from Auto-Protect to NOT Scan Files Accessed by that Process?

Posted Mar 28, 2013 10:01 AM

Yeah, that link you posted is unrelated.

Brian81 said the same thing in regards to turning off 'Scan when file is accessed'

:( back to Symantec Support I go!

• 7.  RE: How Do I Exclude a Process from Auto-Protect to NOT Scan Files Accessed by that Process?

Posted Apr 17, 2013 05:02 PM

we have been looking for a way to do the same thing - any luck finding a solution?

• 8.  RE: How Do I Exclude a Process from Auto-Protect to NOT Scan Files Accessed by that Process?

Posted May 21, 2013 01:41 PM

I found that link that might help you but it's for backup. But there's a place down the support page point #8 where they talk about client portion and the 'Do not scan files when trusted processes access the files'

I hope this can help you

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH168940