Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Changing domain membership of the SEPM server

Posted Jan 22, 2010 02:04 PM
    Hi,

I'm trying to find a simple and tested way to change the domain membership of a SEPM server.

Here the situation:

One SEPM server managing ressources in 3 different domains at the moment. The server is in one of those domains and will be change to another one of those 3.
    Its name will change but not its IP. The database is on a dedicated SQL server that is in the current domain where the SEPM server is located.

I saw some posts saying that if the name and IP don't change it shoudn't be an issue but the name has to change. Is there a simple way to change the server name and domain without having to use Sylinkdrop to reconnect the clients? Also I don't have a second server I could use to transfer the clients before the domain switch.

The version we use is MR4 MP2.

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Changing domain membership of the SEPM server
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 22, 2010 02:18 PM

Create a new management server list with both the names and the IP address.

Once this Man..server list is assigned to all groups ..the clients will update the servers names in their sylink file and then you can change the server name.

Still there is not much to worry as the sylink of the client contains both name and IP so if name is not available it will be able to connect via IP and after reboot the default management server list should update the server name.

But still to be on a safer side i would recommend creating and assigning a new Management server list.

Creating and assigning a management server list for a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/2326c6a13572aeb788257363002b62aa/e2ac3b646ae21969882573c20063533f?OpenDocument 

• 3.  RE: Changing domain membership of the SEPM server

Posted Jan 22, 2010 05:03 PM
    Thanks Vikram, straight and working solution.