Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  how to modify the standard winPE in ghost console 2.5

Posted May 13, 2009 04:42 AM
    Hi we are using ghost console 2.5. And everything is working ok.

However when we do a configuration job ( to change the name or domain registration ) it will boot into the virtual partition of windows PE. After that it will start the connection with the ghost console. In between it will show a command screen with lost of flashing text. Is there a way to subdue this text and make it not seeable so the users don't get confused by it. Is there also a way to change the standard background of the standard winpe 2.0 which comes with the console? 

all info migth be helpfull ( even if the awnser that it is not possible )

• 2.  RE: how to modify the standard winPE in ghost console 2.5
    Best Answer

Posted May 13, 2009 07:10 AM
    You can but it requires some work. First you'll need to download WAIK from MS website. Using imagex you then /apply 2 boot.wim from one of the Winpe from GSS to any folder on your system. You then find unattend.xml in system32 folder and try changing startnet.cmd to something like start /min startnet.cmd. Try it first in Winpe before maing changes - compiling Winpe is quite slow. You'll need to find and replace default bitmap. I dont remember exact name but you can search for all bitmap under \windows folder and find the one - it might be called winpe.bmp or default.bmp or something similar. Once you finished with those two items you then /capture 2 to boot.wim file again.

Good luck.

• 3.  RE: how to modify the standard winPE in ghost console 2.5

Posted May 14, 2009 10:40 AM
    yes you are rigth some work :D

however i am allmost there:
    startnet.cmd starts the unattend.xml, which on itself starts the start.bat in x:\ghost
    With some small tricks I now have a sequence that only the startnet.cmd is visible. However i can't find the unattend.xml you are speaking of. So where is startnet.cmd started ? ( i tried to find it in any xml or ini file.... )

thanks for the help so far.

rinkor

• 4.  RE: how to modify the standard winPE in ghost console 2.5

Posted May 14, 2009 10:46 AM
    On server 2003:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\common\*WINPECOPYNAME*\ghost

• 5.  RE: how to modify the standard winPE in ghost console 2.5

Posted May 14, 2009 09:32 PM
    startnet.cmd is run my Winpe on startup. I believe it is started from the registry.

• 6.  RE: how to modify the standard winPE in ghost console 2.5

Posted May 15, 2009 02:55 AM
    then i thank you for your solution, because i showed it to my employer and he said it was ok. maybe i need to find a third party too to minimize the screenbuy at this moment i am happy with it.

RinkoR