View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

pete

peteNov 03, 2010 07:41 AM

• 1.  Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 03, 2010 07:07 AM

Hi all,

Our organisation currently distributes AV updates to the estate via a distributed GUP architecture.  We have to upgrade every end point to RU6.1 and will be using auto upgrade to achieve this.

My question is;

Can the GUP's be used to distribute and auto upgrade the RU6.1 update to all end points on their local network?  If so, what needs to be configured/considered?

With over 25,000 end points, we don't want to have the central SEPM servers having to service everybody for obvious bandwidth issues deploying a 120MB file across many WAN-linked sites (some have very slow connections to the SEPM Servers Data Centre).

Thank you all for your assistance.

Jose

• 2.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 03, 2010 07:16 AM

No ; GUP can only be used for AV defs nothing else as of now :(

However there is a idea for including this feature in Future

• 3.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 03, 2010 07:16 AM

Can the GUP's be used to distribute and auto upgrade the RU6.1 update to all end points on their local network?--- 

It is not possible as of now.There is some product enhancement requests  in the idea section of this form.You can also vote for it..

Ref:IF GUP could Handle Product Updates aswell

• 4.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 03, 2010 07:17 AM

• 5.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 03, 2010 07:38 AM

Wow, I am impressed with the response times here!

Thank you all for answering my query so quickly and pointing me to possible walk arounds.  I will run them by our SEP expert here and see if they are viable.

This seems to be a feature which others have raised as desibale/essential as far back as May 2009.  This should really form part of a near future release update.

Thanks,

Jose

• 6.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 03, 2010 07:41 AM

could be added under ideas section.

• 7.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 03, 2010 07:42 AM

Hi Rafeeq, GUP can update every thing in terms of defintion( AV &AVS , PTP and PTP )an intelligent updater can only update AV and AVS

GUP cannot update the version or push the version update

• 8.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 03, 2010 07:51 AM

thank you :) I actually ment only virus definitions; 

Yes it will update AV/AS , PTP, NTP

• 9.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 03, 2010 08:01 AM

GUP cannot host product (package) updates I have already added an IDea more than a year back.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/if-gup-could-handle-product-updates-aswell

However it is possible to specify a remote HTTP server location to host client update packages.

• 10.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 03, 2010 08:13 AM

Jose,

I feel your pain on this one. I so wish that GUPs could distribute client updates. That would be fantastic. To work around this, I copy the client install packages to each of the DCs in our locations and use clientremote.exe (push deployment wizard) to push out the updates. That way, the install files stay on the local subnet and don't crush our bandwidth. It's kind of hassle, but it saves bandwidth in the end. This keeps the operations folks happy, and we as IT can still get work done.

Mike

• 11.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 03, 2010 12:55 PM

Thanks all again!

Unfortunately Mike, we don't have DC's at each of our locations, but I like that work around.  Certainly something to consider for those locations that do.

Symantec need to address this issue as people like Vikram identified it as a concern as far back as May 2009, and it's not just a desirable cosmetic change, but a genuine Enterprise-wide concern which impacts other areas of a large estate.

Jose

• 12.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 03, 2010 02:48 PM

Yeah, the machines do not need to be DCs directly. If the locations have a PC with a server OS say Windows Server 2003, that would work too. Mainly, it's the connection limit that is the issue. Any PC can be used to push out the install packages. If you are using a Windows XP/Vista/7 based client, you only get 10 concurrent connections.

So, copy the Push Deployment Wizard files found here on the SEP (Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_11.0.6_MP1_Xplat_en.dvd.zip) install zip file:

Tools>Push Deployment Wizard

From there copy the install packages over to the PC at the location, and run clientremote.exe.

Also, I have heard some (maybe next release) rumblings around the forum that Symantec is going to include the ability to update client packages from the GUPs. This would greatly help. I thought it was supposed to be included in RU6, but it wasn't. Disappointment. :)

Mike

• 13.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 03, 2010 09:27 PM

You may also refer the below article.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-auto-upgrade-remote-site-clients-using-iis

One benifit of using this method is that, mobile users with laptops who miss the upgrade will get the package once they connect to the network. A true auto upgrade.

Cheers!!

• 14.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 09, 2010 10:50 AM

Mike,

If the GUP's are W2K3 servers, could we use them to deploy to their local clients using your method above

"So, copy the Push Deployment Wizard files found here on the SEP (Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_11.0.6_MP1_Xplat_en.dvd.zip) install zip file:

Tools>Push Deployment Wizard

From there copy the install packages over to the PC at the location, and run clientremote.exe"

and NOT be limited to the 10 concurrent connection limits?

Thanks,

Jose

• 15.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 09, 2010 10:57 AM

GUPs cannot distribute packages/upgrades..

Clientremote.exe is a manual process.

• 16.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 09, 2010 11:00 AM

Thanks Vikram.  I think we're shutting the issue down here and accepting we are forced to auto upgrade centrally until such time as GUP re-distribution is introduced.

Thank you all for your contributions.

• 17.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 09, 2010 04:28 PM

Jose,

You are correct. Win2K3 has unlimited concurrent connections.

Thanks,

Mike

• 18.  RE: Distributing RU6.1 via GUP

Posted Nov 09, 2010 04:33 PM

Vikram is correct about clientremote.exe,  with one exception. Clientremote.exe can push out the install package to multiple computers at a time. You have to manually add the clients. The best bet is to take a quick look at the tool, and see if it has the options you are looking for.

Thanks,

Mike