Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Endpoint Protection will not install.

Posted Aug 11, 2012 06:25 PM

I have downloaded Symantec Endpoint Protection from my university. I installed it a few weeks ago and it has worked fine at first. Two days ago, I went to Symantec to scan my computer, but it would not open and a message appeared that said that a path could not be found. So I uninstalled the program and tried reinstalling it many times but it would not install. I have searched the internet many hours for any solution and have tried everything that I found from a credible source, such as symantec forums and information from employees. When I use the installer, the window appears normally and says windows is configuring the settings for Symantec. The loading bar goes to about 90% and says 0 seconds remaining. It then counts up to 1, 2, 3, and 4. After waiting, it goes back to 0 and the loading bar disappears. A few more seconds after that the installer disappears and has not installed the program. After I tried it again, it requests that I reboot my computer, and I have done that numerous times to no avail. I have tried deleting all Program Files related to Symantec, deleting the registry keys related to symantec, renaming some registry keys, and deleting any remnants of Symantec under Program Data. None of this has worked. I am not aware of when this problem actually occurred, and I really want to have Symantec working again. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Endpoint Protection will not install.

Posted Aug 11, 2012 07:16 PM

HI,

Try to Run Cleanwipe tool after you will be run SEP setup .

• 3.  RE: Endpoint Protection will not install.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 11, 2012 10:46 PM

pass on sep_inst.log.

• 4.  RE: Endpoint Protection will not install.

Posted Aug 12, 2012 12:39 PM
      |   view attached

Here is the SEP_INST.log, pete.

Attachment(s)

txt
    SEP inst log.txt   37 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Endpoint Protection will not install.

Posted Aug 12, 2012 12:56 PM

Property(S): SMSLongDescription = Provides malware and threat protection for Symantec Endpoint Protection
    Property(S): SymMigrationRebootMessage = To provide complete protection, Symantec Endpoint Protection requires this computer to restart.
    Property(S): SymRebootAtEndMessage = To provide complete protection, Symantec Endpoint Protection requires this computer to restart.

Edit..

MSI (s) (E0:F0) [17:46:37:728]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Symantec Endpoint Protection. Product Version: 12.1.1101.401. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Symantec Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1603.

SEP 12 Install roll back

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH132870

Try to  restart system and install again..

• 6.  RE: Endpoint Protection will not install.

Posted Aug 12, 2012 02:04 PM

I tried and it still did not install, it just did the same thing it has been doing for the past twenty times. I have Windows 7, by the way. Do I need to install Live Update before intalling Symantec?

• 7.  RE: Endpoint Protection will not install.

Posted Aug 12, 2012 08:13 PM

Yes first you will be install live update after install SEP client...

• 8.  RE: Endpoint Protection will not install.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2012 10:01 AM

Hi,

Cleanwipe should help to resolve the issue.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-get-cleanwipe-tool-endpoint-removal

Try to find out following entry in the system and registry & if you could find it then let us know the location

4ADBF5BE-7CAF-4193-A1F9-DE6820E68569

• 9.  RE: Endpoint Protection will not install.

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Aug 13, 2012 10:25 AM

Hello,

Upon checking the Logs, we found as under - 

Communicate LC: (NOT ((LOADEDDRIVERSFOUND=11) OR PENDINGMODULEREMOVAL)) OR MIGRATE OR NORTONFOUND OR NORTONAV OR NORTONAVPRO=0
    Communicate LC: Symantec Endpoint Protection has detected that there are pending system changes that require a reboot.  Please reboot the system and rerun the installation.
    Communicate LC:  calling communicate state with the following arguments: 
    Communicate LC: Prodversion = 12.1.1101.401
    Communicate LC: PathToSylink = C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\Symantec\
    Communicate LC: Oldversion = 
    Communicate LC: ReasonStr = Symantec Endpoint Protection has detected that there are pending system changes that require a reboot.  Please reboot the system and rerun the installation.
    Communicate LC: StatusCode = 302469124
    Communicate LC: Communicator failed to communicate.
    MSI (s) (E0:F0) [17:46:35:871]: Skipping action: preLaunchCond (condition is false)
    MSI (s) (E0:F0) [17:46:35:871]: Doing action: LaunchConditions
    Action ended 17:46:35: CommunicateLaunchConditions. Return value 1.
    Action start 17:46:35: LaunchConditions.
    MSI (s) (E0:F0) [17:46:37:681]: Product: Symantec Endpoint Protection -- 4Symantec Endpoint Protection has detected that there are pending system changes that require a reboot.  Please reboot the system and rerun the installation.

MSI (c) (AC:4C) [17:46:35:918]: Font created.  Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

4Symantec Endpoint Protection has detected that there are pending system changes that require a reboot.  Please reboot the system and rerun the installation.
    Action ended 17:46:37: LaunchConditions. Return value 3.
    Action ended 17:46:37: INSTALL. Return value 3.

Questions:

What OS are you running on your machine?

Make sure you uninstall the Liveupdate from the Add/Remove Programs. Secondly, disable the UAC (incase of windows 7 and above)

Suggestions:

First, Check this Article:

Installer Information - "Symantec Endpoint Protection has detected that there are pending system changes that require a reboot." when trying to install SEP 11.0 on Windows 7

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH95608

Steps -

1) Open registry and go to 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\

hight light Session Manager on the right hand side delete the value PendingFileRenameOperations

2) Also delete the same value from 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

then run the install...without rebooting the PC

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/ppfdocs/2007121609023348?Open&dtype=corp&src=&seg=&om=1&om_out=prod

Then

3.Disable UAC (Incase of Windows 7 and above)

4.If it's an upgrade uninstall SEP using cleanwipe utility and restart the system.

How to get the CleanWipe tool (Endpoint Removal)

OR

4. Manually uninstall SEP.

Delete the contents of the SEP from the computer and registry after backing up the registry, then try reinstalling SEP.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH184988

I believe you are student of the University, so probably it would be difficult for you to grab a handon with CleanWipe utility as it requires you to create a case with Symantec.

In your case, I would recommend you to check this Article below:

Methods for uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/methods-uninstalling-symantec-endpoint-protection

Hope that helps!!