Deployment Solution

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Migration User

Migration UserDec 22, 2008 08:38 AM

• 1.  Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Dec 22, 2008 06:06 AM

We just upgraded to 6.9 SP1 and installed WinPE 2.1 a few days ago. All testing with the old WinPE 1.6 boot and imaging still works fine, so I started creating a job with WinPE 2.1 to test but it just has not worked. It loads up to the point of the OS being 'up' and the DOS box on the screen, but I get this:

X:\Windows\system32>wpeinit

it sits there for about 7 or 8 seconds then...

X:\Windows\system32>

with a flashing cursor...like it's done and not moving forward. At this point, i'm not sure why it's dropped out (it's not frozen, i can type in commands). I'm no expert with WinPE....has anyone see this or enlighten me as to what i'm missing? :-)

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Dec 22, 2008 08:38 AM
    Did you recreate your boot files?

• 3.  RE: Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Dec 22, 2008 08:41 AM
    Yes, i created a new boot option from scratch just in case - just for 2.1...i didnt want to overwrite my 1.6 in case it didnt work. Thankfully, that was the right move :-)

• 4.  RE: Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Dec 24, 2008 01:38 AM
    just in case that was misconstrued, no, 2.1 still doesn't work - but my old 1.6 one still does. that's what i meant...LOL

• 5.  RE: Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Dec 24, 2008 03:14 AM
    I saw something similar when a mapped drive was in use, but not the exact error.

• 6.  RE: Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Dec 24, 2008 03:16 AM

we don't actually get an error. It just sits at the dos window - the prompt is active and I can type stuff, it's like whatever the next command for it to kick off isn't there.

using a mapped drive is kind of a necessity...what do you mean? did you find a way around it?

• 7.  RE: Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Dec 24, 2008 04:29 AM
    Sorry, that was a vague statement. The F:\ drive (default) was already marked in use by the manufacturer's utility (Dell). I don't really remember is there was a log file, but I thought there was something in the Windows folder for Rdeploy that told us file not found or something similar.

• 8.  RE: Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Dec 24, 2008 04:48 AM
    Definitley different from what i'm seeing here. This just boots into the WinPE environment, pops up the normal DOS window, runs the wpeinit command, sits, then just goes to the next line and sits there as if it were done.

I'm at a complete loss. I've recreated the boot image, reinstalled the winpe 2.1 for DS, etc. I've also tried installing a hotfix thinking it could be a driver issue, but now after that, i can't add any drivers to winpe 2.1 images (not that I could add mass storage ones to winpe 1.6 either...had that lovely problem for a while now and thought 6.9 sp1 would fix it....oops...).

Thankfully our old process still works for now, but I can't move forward until I get these issues fixed.

• 9.  RE: Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Mar 05, 2009 06:37 AM
    We are having this same issue, has anyone found a fix for this?

• 10.  RE: Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Mar 05, 2009 06:41 AM
    thank god...someone is having this issue besides me. i'm not going crazy....

unfortunately no resolution yet though. maybe a second response might prompt something!

• 11.  RE: Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Mar 13, 2009 12:29 AM
    Well, I did have the same problem as RichC - that is WinPE2.1 would call for the latest agent from the deployment share, and would then wait forever until I cancelled the job. (All the while, it never showed any errors). My workaround was to remove the dagent 6.9.366 .exe file from the Agents folder, thereby allowing the job to run with dagent 6.9.355. But I've recently copied the 366 agents back in to the DS, re-tested a deployment, and it works! The only thing I can think of that I have done to fix this in the meantime was that I edited my PXE boot config images, working through all 12 steps and saving at the end.

I think even if you have already tried recreating your PXE boot images, it is worth trying it again, and just make sure you have the same version of the agent everywhere.

~Mike~

• 12.  RE: Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Jul 28, 2009 01:59 PM
    DId anyone ever find a solution to this.

I have the exact same issues.
    WinPE boots up correctly, but then does nothing.

The Wpeinit.log file shows everything as successful.
    It just doesn't seem to fire off the events that should map the shared drives and call the aclient.

One other weird thing with this is the background on the winPE screen is the default Microsoft one, not the Altiris background.

I'm using this on a Fresh DS6.9 SP2 install.
    PXE and DHCP are on different servers.

• 13.  RE: Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Jul 28, 2009 09:58 PM
    I had a similar problem and it was mismatched agents once I made sure all agents matched the imaging was back to normal. Using DS 6.9 SP2 WinPE 2.1

• 14.  RE: Imaging issues with WinPE 2.1 and DS 6.9 SP1

Posted Jul 29, 2009 12:43 AM
    I actually figured out what this was. I had unchecked the "use compression" box while making the PXE boot image.
    There is a known bug with DS 6.9 SP1 and SP2 regarding this.

If you run into this issue, you have to have "use compression" checked.