Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

"Failed to save database" error when runnning Management Server Configuration Wizard

• 1.  "Failed to save database" error when runnning Management Server Configuration Wizard

Posted Apr 29, 2010 01:47 PM
    I am trying to run the SEP Small Business Edition Management Server Configuration Wizard on Windows Server 2003 SP2.  The initial install of the SPC was successful.

I repeatedly get the following error when I get to the "Create the Database" step in the wizard:  "Failed to save the database"
    • I have removed all other Symantec products from the server. 
    • I have tried the Wizard with and without SQL 2005.
    • I assured that the SQL collation was case insensitive (when the SQL server was installed) 
    • dbsrv9.exe is running and connected on port 2638 
    • All default ports required by the Management Server are available and use the defaults.
    • The database file (sem5.db) is created and has a size of 265,672 kb.  It is located in the ...\symantec protection center\db directory .
    Nothing I have done avoids the "Failed to save database" error. 

K Pilcher

• 2.  RE: "Failed to save database" error when runnning Management Server Configuration Wizard

Posted Apr 29, 2010 02:51 PM

• 3.  RE: "Failed to save database" error when runnning Management Server Configuration Wizard

Posted Apr 30, 2010 09:20 PM
    Thanks for the reply. 

I found that KB article and unstalled SQL and cleaned up the registry.

Install is connecting to the embedded database server on port 2638 and the error still occurs.

K PIlcher

• 4.  RE: "Failed to save database" error when runnning Management Server Configuration Wizard

Posted May 03, 2010 01:47 AM
    Its probably because some other application is using the port 2638.

Determine which process is using port 2638 by using the "netstat -ab > c:\ports.txt" command 

Stop the service that is using 2638 currently. Preferrably through the Services Panel. (Start->Run..->services.msc).

Try installing SPC again it should work. If it does not work then you can also change the embedded database port to 2639 by doing the following.

Stop the embedded database and the SPC service form services.msc

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\asanys_sem5\parameters
    Double-click on Parameter DWORD Value and change the 2638 value at the end of the string to a port you have determined to be free such as 2639.

Open C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\conf\server.xml (default location) with Notepad.

Change the line which reads <value>jdbc:sybae:Tds:localhost:2638/?JCONNECT_VERSION=5</value> and change 2638 to reflect the new port number.

Restart  the embedded database and the SPC service form services.msc

• 5.  RE: "Failed to save database" error when runnning Management Server Configuration Wizard

Posted May 03, 2010 05:45 AM

Hi K Pilcher,

This may be a silly question, but--- is SEP SBE working, despite the error message?  You indicate that the database was created.  Can SEP SBE connect to it and use it?

In a recent install that I performed, I received an alarming pop-up "Failed to create the Embedded Database service."  However, the service was in fact created and everything worked.  (This was on a very low-spec computer.  I suspect that something was requiring more time than usual and so the error was presented....)

See if there is a installLog.err created on your server.  If so, can you post its content to this forum thread?

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 6.  RE: "Failed to save database" error when runnning Management Server Configuration Wizard

Posted May 03, 2010 03:51 PM
      |   view attached
    Thanks for your reply.

1) I discovered the service using port 2638 as the Symantec Embedded Database.  Nevertheless, I stopped the service and tried running the Management Server Configuration Wizard again. --- Still getting the "Failed to save database error"

2) I found and changed the registry entry to port 2639 as you suggested.  I was unable to find the line you described in server.xml  I have attached the file for your information. --- Re-ran the Configuration Wizard and received the same error.

3) I do not see any Services that are related to SPC -- only the database service.  Is there supposed to be one?

I appreciate your help in troubleshooting this problem.

Regards,

K Pilcher

Attachment(s)

xml
    server.xml   3 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: "Failed to save database" error when runnning Management Server Configuration Wizard

Posted May 03, 2010 04:05 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Mick,

Thanks for your reply.

If I try to log onto the SPC server I get an error message that it was unable to connect to the server: "Failed to connect to the server".  I am attempting the login from the same machine where the SPC was installed so no network/remote issues should be at issue.

Could the database save error in my case also be caused by a timeout?   In any case it does not look like the SPC Service is being installed.

I have attached all of the log files from the f:/Program Files/Symantec/Symantec Protection Center/tomcat/logs directory.

Thanks for you help with this problem.  I appreciate it.

K Pilcher

Attachment(s)

zip
    install_logs.zip   2 KB 1 version

• 8.  RE: "Failed to save database" error when runnning Management Server Configuration Wizard

Posted May 04, 2010 05:19 AM
    From your server.xml file sqlserver://localhost:1433 .It is still trying install with sql database.uninstall SEPM from add/remove programs along with it's database(You have to select this at the time of uninstallation) .Remove the symantec folders then install SEPM freshly and try to configure.

• 9.  RE: "Failed to save database" error when runnning Management Server Configuration Wizard
    Best Answer

Posted May 04, 2010 05:28 AM
    Hi K,

>F:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Protection Center\tomcat\..\bin\ServiceUtil.exe -service ASANYs_sem5 -setservicerecovery

The solution is probably as simple as allowing SEP SBE to install to its default location on the C drive.  Uninstall what is presently there, and then let it go onto the C drive.  Let the forum know how you get on!

If there is some compelling reason why this cannot go onto the C (Citrix, out of space, etc) let me know.  I may know a workaround that will allow for a successful install.

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 10.  RE: "Failed to save database" error when runnning Management Server Configuration Wizard

Posted May 04, 2010 03:18 PM
    Thanks Mick!

A review of the install_log.err showed that files needed to be installed to the C: drive (no options available).  C: did not exist on the server due to some weird legacy issues.

Getting back to a more conventional drive letter assignment solved the problem!

Thanks to everyone who help me with this issue.

Regards,

Ken

• 11.  RE: "Failed to save database" error when runnning Management Server Configuration Wizard

Posted May 04, 2010 04:03 PM

Many thanks for marking the thread "solved."  Fingers crossed that an admin who runs into this error in the future will find the answer here with a quick Internet search and be spared too much head scratching.

Please do visit the forum again for any future issues! 

With best regards,

Mick