Server Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Software Management

Posted Oct 13, 2010 06:48 PM

Attached is a use case for Software Management for the ITMS 7.1 Beta product. Please log any issues here in this forum for Software Managment. The forum will be monitored by both QA and others to watch for issues that arise.

Attachment(s)

zip
    SM_use_cases.zip   130 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Software Management

Posted Oct 18, 2010 03:49 PM

First, let me say that I love the new simplicity in assigning a policy to a computer.  Being able to just drag and drop a policy on a computer to assign it is excellent and our technicians are going to love it.  However, I have a serious concern about how removing policies will work.  

Each time you assign a policy to a computer (or group of computers) a new computer list-based target is assigned to the policy.  When you end up many assigned targets you can't tell which target contains the computer you want to remove from a policy.  You can change your view from "Targets" to "Computers", but you can't edit anything from that view.

If we have technicians adding computers to a policy one at a time over a period of time, which we have in some circumstances, it's going to be incredibly tedious to double-click each target to see if that's the one with the computer we wanted removed.

Today, most of our targets are filter-based.  When technicians want a computer to be added to a policy they add the computer to a filter.  When they want it removed from a policy they remove it from the filter.  I need to make sure it's still easy for them to remove a computer from a policy.

• 3.  RE: Software Management

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Oct 21, 2010 10:24 AM

When entering the user information in the software portal,

http://ns71beta/Altiris/SoftwarePortal/UserPortal/Home.aspx

If the user neglects to set a mandatory field, the email notification checkboxes are reset. All other controls seem to keep their state apart from these.

From a user point of view, when they are directed by the red text to fill in the missing mandatory information, they will likely submit straight after entering that information. Hence miss the fact that these notifcation boxes have been reset.

• 4.  RE: Software Management

Posted Oct 21, 2010 11:44 AM

I encountered the following error attempting to open the silverlight software console this morning. This was my first interaction of the day with the test server. It was very sluggish yesterday afternoon but wasn't giving errors.

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; MS-RTC LM 8; .NET4.0C; InfoPath.3; .NET4.0E)
    Timestamp: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:30:07 UTC

Message: Unhandled Error in Silverlight Application [Async_ExceptionOccurred]
    Arguments:
    Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&Version=4.0.50917.0&File=System.dll&Key=Async_ExceptionOccurred   at System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs.RaiseExceptionIfNecessary()
       at Altiris.NS.Silverlight.Common.ResourceService.GetSavedSearchesByResourceTypeWithExcludeCompletedEventArgs.get_Result()
       at SoftwareView.SoftwareNavigation.resClient_GetSavedSearchesByResourceTypeWithExcludeCompleted(Object sender, GetSavedSearchesByResourceTypeWithExcludeCompletedEventArgs e)
       at Altiris.NS.Silverlight.Common.ResourceService.ResourceServiceClient.OnGetSavedSearchesByResourceTypeWithExcludeCompleted(Object state)
    Line: 1
    Char: 1
    Code: 0
    URI: https://s-w38.engin.uiowa.edu/Altiris/ActivityCenter/Default.aspx?viewGuid=0b9ae490-217c-48df-8f7f-2cda1cdd2a00&manageCatalog=1&&ConsoleGuid=1b22db4e-a898-443f-9b99-855b1653d3f5

• 5.  RE: Software Management

Posted Oct 21, 2010 12:47 PM

I am getting that error as well.  There isn't much I can do until I get it sorted out unfortunately.

I created a discussion with more details of what I found here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/silverlightdatabase-error

• 6.  RE: Software Management

Posted Oct 21, 2010 03:00 PM

Are you using Internet Explorer? for the useragent it seems its using Mozilla firefox, i don´t think theres silverlight for mozilla...

I would try to update to the latest silverlight/java.

my two cents..

• 7.  RE: Software Management

Posted Dec 16, 2010 03:14 PM

I am also getting the same error - Although it does reference mozilla in the error message , I am using IE.

Any thoughts? the discussion thread mentioned now displays "We're sorry, but the author of this page has restricted access to it."

• 8.  RE: Software Management

Posted Dec 17, 2010 01:53 PM

JaredH,

Please try that discussion thread link again - I was doing a little maintenance to the beta group and it may have temporarily restricted access to some of the content in the group. My apologies!

Cheryl

• 9.  RE: Software Management

Posted Dec 19, 2010 04:26 PM

Sorry Ohzone - still the same :(