Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  replication between 2 sites with Embedded databases

Posted Jun 06, 2011 10:28 AM

Hello,

I have a question regarding the settings for replication between 2 sites with Embedded databases.

Let's say I have Site A and Site B, both using Embedded database. Site B is configured with Priority 2 in the MSL (it will be like failover if the first site goes down). What are the correct settings, when I go to Admin -> Servers -> Replication Partners I see:

Replicate Logs:

- Replication logs from Local site to this partner site

- Replication logs from this partner site to the local site

Should I do the config only from the 2nd site which is installed as a replication partner or on both sites? Also should I select both options or just one, because I want if something is changed on Site A, it to be reflected on site B or since site B will be failover, I need to replicate only from A to B?

Thanks for your help

• 2.  RE: replication between 2 sites with Embedded databases

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 06, 2011 11:19 AM

Hi,

If you want to replicate from Site A to Site B then select Replication logs from local site to this partner site.

Check this video.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/replication-concepts-and-configuration

Check this article.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/replication-and-considerations

• 3.  RE: replication between 2 sites with Embedded databases

Posted Jun 06, 2011 03:46 PM

Hi,

policies and groups are always replicated on both directions, no options there.

You need then to decide if you want the logs always available in both managers (two ways) or only in one of them (one way) or just keep them separate (no way).

If you want to use a one way log replication, it is enough to enable it in one of the SEPMs and the other will automatically take it.

Regards,

• 4.  RE: replication between 2 sites with Embedded databases

Posted Jun 07, 2011 04:04 AM

Thanks for the above information, it was very useful. Just one more thing, if I want to replicate logs both ways, how do you recommend to do it, to set both options (replicate from this local site to the partner site and from the partner site to the local site) to run at the same time or from local to the partner at one time and from partner to the local at different time? Because I think if there are many machines, replicating logs both ways at the same time may cause network issues.

• 5.  RE: replication between 2 sites with Embedded databases
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 07, 2011 04:25 AM

Hi,

I don't think it is possible to replicate on both ways but at different time.

The possible high network traffic is the reason to keep it disabled by default.

Moreover, if you are not going to regularly use SEPM B (it is in priority 2) it will not collect and send so many logs to A to be worried of that.

Regards,

• 6.  RE: replication between 2 sites with Embedded databases

Posted Jun 07, 2011 04:42 AM

Thanks for the quck reply. All is clear now

• 7.  RE: replication between 2 sites with Embedded databases

Posted Jun 07, 2011 05:14 AM

Replication is two way; Only the Change will be replicated, not all.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH161319&key=54619&actp=LIST

when you say Priority, If server 1 and server 2 has same priority 1 ;->then its Load balancing.

when there is 2 servers with diff priorities; then its its Failover; it will fail to priority 2..

THIS WILL ONLY HAPPEN IF YOUR DB IS SQL...

Failover and load balancing installations are supported only when the original Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager uses Microsoft SQL Server. Do not install servers for failover or load balancing when the original Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager uses the embedded database.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/failover-load-balancing-inquiry-only

• 8.  RE: replication between 2 sites with Embedded databases

Posted Jun 07, 2011 06:33 AM

Hi Rafeeq,

please, note that the product allows replication with embedded DBs as well (with a limited number of sites) and replication is meant for fail over and load balancing, there wouldn't be sense on allowing something via GUI and wizards and then not supporting it (according to the embedded DB limitations).

My tests in lab and several installations on small-middle size customers confirm those features.

Regards,