Deployment Solution

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Migration User

Migration UserJan 20, 2012 09:56 AM

• 1.  ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 18, 2012 04:10 PM

I am trying to import images from DS 6.9 into 7.1 to facilitate our migration.  However, I keep getting an error when doing so.

The files all copy over, but never get 'added' to my available images.  Help!

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 18, 2012 06:27 PM

Are you running this from the NS as an account that's a local administrator and also a member of the Symantec Administrators role?

Also, did you specify that it was sysprepped or not sysprepped?  Sysprepped images are gathered as Disk Images, while non-sysprepped are gathered as Backup Images.

Where are you going to look for 'available images'?  I wonder if http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH122141 applies, where the OS Type is unknown and so your fields aren't being populated properly.

• 3.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 19, 2012 10:51 AM

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

I am launching it directly from the directory containing the executable.  I've not played with NS at all and am struggling to figure out how I'd launch through there.  That's probably my issue, so let's start with that.

• 4.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 19, 2012 04:41 PM

I've heard rumors of problems with spanned images vs single img file images.  Is this the case?

• 5.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 19, 2012 05:11 PM

Log on to the NS as a Symantec Administrator and run the tool from there, browsing to the .img files and selecting them as per the documentation.  Does this provide a difference in behavior -- or maybe, were you already logged on to the NS when you ran this tool?

• 6.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 20, 2012 12:02 AM

Hello SaintFrag,

I would suggest, that run the application using right click option 'Run as administrator'. if this did not work, then copy the executable (or the complete folder) to desktop and then try using Run as administrator option.

In case you have spanned images, then select all the spanned images from Resource Import Tool (open dialog box)

Is the image on UNC location or copied at local (SMP box) system. 

Pl. let us know, if this does not work.

• 7.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 20, 2012 08:23 AM

I think I misunderstood when you were talking about the "NS".  I'm guessing you're referring to the server that Deployment is on, rather than accessing NS management through the Console.  If that's the case, yes, I'm running the tool from the server on which 7.1 resides.  I copied all the files for the spanned image to the same folder and then ran as administrator.  Still no dice.  Yes, I'm selecing all files for the image (*.img, .002, .003, .004)

I see it copy over the files as expected it just fails to 'add' them to Deployment.  Perhaps there's a file it's trying to edit that is read only?

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  :)

• 8.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 20, 2012 08:41 AM

I tried importing through the command line directly using an .xml file.  Here is the log:

1/20/2012 8:37:22 AM    filename = C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Agents\Deployment\Task Handler\Tools\580\580.002
    1/20/2012 8:37:22 AM    filename = C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Agents\Deployment\Task Handler\Tools\580\580.003
    1/20/2012 8:37:22 AM    filename = C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Agents\Deployment\Task Handler\Tools\580\580.004
    1/20/2012 8:37:22 AM    filename = C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Agents\Deployment\Task Handler\Tools\580\580.img
    1/20/2012 8:37:22 AM    Description is Basic 580
    1/20/2012 8:37:22 AM    The image OS type is Windows 7 Professional
    1/20/2012 8:38:36 AM       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at DeploymentWebService.CreateSoftwareResource(String resourceType, String packageData)
       at ResourceImportTool.ImageImport.ImportImage()
    1/20/2012 8:38:36 AM    URL is
    1/20/2012 8:38:36 AM    Port is
    1/20/2012 8:38:36 AM    Description is
    1/20/2012 8:38:36 AM    The image OS type is
    1/20/2012 8:38:36 AM    Select a valid image to import.
    1/20/2012 8:38:36 AM    Enter a value for port
    1/20/2012 8:38:36 AM    "" is not a valid OS type
    1/20/2012 8:38:36 AM    Done importing Images.

As you can see... same error.  :(

• 9.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 20, 2012 09:46 AM

How old is that spanned image?  We've seen issues where spanned images created with older versions of Ghost (it was something like 3+ whole versions ago) could not be imported.  As a workaround, we sent the spanned image using the old server, shut down the system, then booted it into WinPE in 7.1 and gathered a single, non-spanned image before the system had a chance to reach a production OS of any kind.  Essentially we just re-created the image.

You could also try using Ghost Explorer to unspan the images, but for us that wasn't successful.

• 10.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 20, 2012 09:56 AM

The image was built in May. 

• 11.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 20, 2012 02:10 PM

Let me see what I can find out about how to do this.

• 12.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 25, 2012 01:56 PM

Thank you, Thomas.  Getting this going would be huge for us.  (And I'm sure others would appreciate it as well!)

• 13.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 31, 2012 09:26 AM

Sorry - no answers yet.  One customer reported that they would only get 1 file, and that they could copy all the rest of the files in manually to the new package and it would "work" but I don't know if that is the same issue you're seeing or not.

I've not forgotten this though.

• 14.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 31, 2012 11:36 AM

Our developer has requested your image so we can test/ look at what you're seeing.  Is that possible?

• 15.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 31, 2012 11:47 AM

Umm... My smallest image is about 6 GB.  My only concerns are the obvious security ones, but being Symantec is a security company I'd hope that wouldn't be an issue.

In short:  Yes, possible.  Though I could try the suggestion above of doing it with just the .img file and then copying over the .00# files.

• 16.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Jan 31, 2012 03:34 PM

To note:  I tried importing just the .img file and got the same error.

• 17.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 01, 2012 06:25 PM

SaintFrag,

Can you send me your email and phone number to Douglas_hicken@symantec.com?  I'll create you a case and get your image file.

-Doug

• 18.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img

Posted Apr 03, 2012 02:33 PM

Haven't heard from you more on this, but I've been working heavily on getting 7.1 up and running recently.  I had some problems with uploading images not showing up in SMC (read this post) and I wondered if the issue is related.  Namely, if the Package Server portion didn't get installed, would it affect this issue?  The documentation on the Package Server is nothing more than "make sure it's installed" which is pretty vague.  I don't know where to make sure and if it's not, how does one go about installing it.

Thanks for any help you might offer.

• 19.  RE: ResourceImportTool failure with .img
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 03, 2012 04:27 PM

Well, that was the issue.  There was no Package Server.  Once I got the package server service installed, I was able to import my images from my 6.9 box.