Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  outlook attachements are slow to open

Posted May 23, 2012 05:04 PM

Since about the 18th of this month, all of our computers are really slow to open pdfs and other docs.

if i disable the symantec plugin in outlook they work just fine,  if disable outlook email scanning on my symantec server, everything works fine.

if i re-enable it, then it goes back to bad.  i saw another post reguarding it, but really didnt see what they did to resolve it other than to disable email scanning, and i dont want to do that.

since that post was last week, i am wodering if possibly symantec did an update that is causing this,  or maybe a microsoft update came down that isnt playing nice with epp.

anyone have any help for me?

version 12.1.671.4971

thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: outlook attachements are slow to open

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 24, 2012 12:40 AM

Hello,

Check this Thread with Similar Issue: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/microsoft-outlook-auto-protect-slower-121

I would suggest you to migrate to the Latest version of SEP 12.1 RU1 and then to SEP 12. RU1MP1.

The Reason, there are a couple of fixes in SEP RU1 MP1

New fixes and features in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 Release Update 1 Maintenance Patch 1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187656

For Migrating to SEP RU1 MP1, it is important for you to install SEP 12.1 RU1.

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: outlook attachements are slow to open

Posted May 24, 2012 07:11 AM

I understand that you do not want to disable email protection. But you should know that it is an feature. Even if an infection comes past your exchange server protection, when the file is downloaded from the email to the local computer, sep will identify the infection as & when it has the signatures.

• 4.  RE: outlook attachements are slow to open

Posted Jun 02, 2012 05:34 AM

it is not recommended to disable e-mail protection if you are using outlook.

• 5.  RE: outlook attachements are slow to open

Posted Sep 25, 2012 05:15 PM

I am on version 12.1.1000.157 RU1 and this is still an issue.  The plugin is not just causing a 5 second delay in out Outlook.  It is causing Outlook to freeze and say it is not responding, and in some cases this can last for over a minute.  It seems that disabling this plugin is the only workaround I can find.  Someone at Symantec please provide an actual solution not just this workaround.

• 6.  RE: outlook attachements are slow to open

Posted Sep 25, 2012 05:20 PM

If it's still happening I would disable and put in a support call.

• 7.  RE: outlook attachements are slow to open

Posted Oct 02, 2012 05:46 PM

Hi Werowance,

In some situations this behavior could happen cause of scans redundancy of the different SEP features activated.

Did you already try to uncheck on the AV/AS policy the protection for Email and Internet module ?

It's the one after Protection for Outlook & Protection for Notes.

You could uncheck this feature as you're using only Outlook and no other Email application.

See if it's still slow like before. If there is no improvement at all, contact the support. Be aware that in this situation a ProcMon might be requested and the support might request you to try to upgrade on SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 to see if it's reproducible on this last version.

Kind Regards,

A. Wesker

• 8.  RE: outlook attachements are slow to open

Posted Oct 03, 2012 02:20 PM

Does Symantec actually have a solution to this problem???  Seems like everyone is told to contact support for this same issue, and no resolution is ever posted on the forums.