Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Can a SEPM MR4 MP2 server manage a SEP RU5 client?

Posted Oct 19, 2009 10:09 AM
    Can a SEPM MR4 MP2 server manage a SEP RU5 client? I realize the server wouldn't be able to manage any features new to RU5. However would it work for the basic stuff (i.e. policies, virus defs, logging, etc)?

We're not ready to upgrade our SEPM servers just yet, but have some Windows 7 clients that would really like to use the SEP RU5 client, hence my question.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Can a SEPM MR4 MP2 server manage a SEP RU5 client?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 19, 2009 10:22 AM
    Hello Bonner,

YES the manager would still be able to Manage MR5 clients and will be able to do the basic stuff like policies virus defs , logs forward.

the technology of communicating with manager is remained same. Not many things changed.

Your previous manager can still manaintain SEP MR5 clients

to test this you can install a clients MR5 as unmanaged ( as your manager is not mr5)

take the sylink file from manager as per this document, the client should have green dot and should be reporting to the MR4 Manager

How to change a Symantec Endpoint Protection client from unmanaged to managed holds good for all versions

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007082009543848

• 3.  RE: Can a SEPM MR4 MP2 server manage a SEP RU5 client?

Posted Oct 19, 2009 10:26 AM
    yes SEPM on MR4MP2  can manage RU5 clients

• 4.  RE: Can a SEPM MR4 MP2 server manage a SEP RU5 client?

Posted Oct 19, 2009 10:34 AM

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ru5-clients-talking-mr4-server

Yes a SEP MR4 SEPM can manage RU5 clients, But this isnot recommned.

The version of SEPM should always be greater or equal to that of the clients.

Lower manger manging higher client may work for the time being but in a long run it may causes issues.

• 5.  RE: Can a SEPM MR4 MP2 server manage a SEP RU5 client?

Posted Oct 19, 2009 11:14 AM
    Thanks for the responses. I only need to do this for a handful of clients, and hope to upgrade the servers soon, so this is only temporary. I'm testing now on a single laptop and so far so good.

• 6.  RE: Can a SEPM MR4 MP2 server manage a SEP RU5 client?

Posted Oct 19, 2009 06:33 PM
    As has been mentioned, It is completely unsupported and I doubt support will give you any love if the machines or server start experiencing issues.
    It is very quick to update the server so why not just do that?

Z

• 7.  RE: Can a SEPM MR4 MP2 server manage a SEP RU5 client?

Posted Oct 23, 2009 02:50 PM
    zer0 - for many companies like my own we have to thoroughly test upgrades prior to just rolling them out on production servers.  This takes time and thus it normally takes a while after a maintenance release comes out before we can deploy the upgrade to the server regardless of how quickly the upgrade takes.  I think what Bonner is experiencing is that some client machines upgraded to Windows 7 before he has had a chance to test RU5 and upgrade his server.  The last thing he should do is upgrade to RU5 on his SEPM servers without testing just so a handful of computers can use RU5.

I'm glad to know that RU5 clients can communicate with the MR4MP2 SEPM as I will be in this situation very soon myself.  We have users upgrading to Windows 7 before we will have completed RU5 testing.

Jeff

• 8.  RE: Can a SEPM MR4 MP2 server manage a SEP RU5 client?

Posted Oct 23, 2009 02:55 PM
    "It is very quick to update the server so why not just do that?"

Some of us have 30 SEPMs distributed around the world and stopping the services and upgrading them all is not what anyone would deem "very quick."

Something important to note is IF you have multiple SEPMs reporting to the SAME MSSQL database you need to stop ALL of them then upgrade.  Anythign not upgraded will not talk to the new Ru5 schema.