Data Center Security

View Only
  • 1.  DCS:SA 6.6 and DCS UMC

Posted Mar 29, 2016 10:00 AM

Hi,

From reading the install guide, admin guide and other docs etc, everything says that UMC is:

"The Unified Management Console (UMC) is an appliance that provides a web-based
    console for NSX/vShield virtual data center protection and orchestration."

Given that I'm not wanting to interact with anything VMware at all, is there any point in UMC at all? Or is it something that you have to have regardless? Or does it do something else as well as the VM stuff?

Is it just to register the other components and set up users for it or something similar?

Seems a bit bonkers to have a 4 vCPU/8GB VM to sit there and do nothing?

(This seems to be a new thing since v6.0 that I was used to previously).

Any comments gratefully received,

Ben

• 2.  RE: DCS:SA 6.6 and DCS UMC

Posted Mar 31, 2016 03:45 PM

Hi 

UMC is something that now DCS 6.6 requires mandatory.

You will see more information at:  Home, Assets, Monitor and Report tab are missing

• 3.  RE: DCS:SA 6.6 and DCS UMC

Posted Apr 01, 2016 07:14 PM

Better to ask for 6.5 MP1 FileConnect serial from Symantec Customer Care.

• 4.  RE: DCS:SA 6.6 and DCS UMC

Posted Apr 21, 2016 05:11 PM

Sorry for posting in an old thread but I have a client with SDCS:SA 6.5 and they want to upgrade to 6.6. They doesn't have the UMC installed so, can I just upgrade the 6.5 to 6.6 or I have to install the UMC?

• 5.  RE: DCS:SA 6.6 and DCS UMC

Posted Apr 21, 2016 05:20 PM

Hi

Do they really need to migrate? what´s the new feature that is available with 6.6 and is not present on 6.5 MP1 that customer urgently requires?

I mean, you need TO TEST 6.6 first before doing an upgrade.

To your point, you need to install UMC.

• 6.  RE: DCS:SA 6.6 and DCS UMC

Posted Apr 21, 2016 05:30 PM

I am not recommending the client to upgrade but apparently they just want the latest version. I'm setting up a lab right now but I just wanted to ask to know if anyone else had done this.

So no matter if I upgrade from 6.5, Assets, Monitor and Home tabs disappear?

• 7.  RE: DCS:SA 6.6 and DCS UMC

Posted Apr 21, 2016 05:51 PM

Exactly, even reports will disappear.

• 8.  RE: DCS:SA 6.6 and DCS UMC

Posted Apr 21, 2016 05:57 PM

And this is kind of issue or from now, the UMC will be required to install SDCS?

• 9.  RE: DCS:SA 6.6 and DCS UMC

Posted Apr 21, 2016 06:24 PM

Good question for Symantec ,as far as I know... from now the UMC will be mandatory but I could be wrong....

• 10.  RE: DCS:SA 6.6 and DCS UMC

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 21, 2016 06:40 PM

UMC is required for DCS 6.6.

Assets are moved to UMC and must be managed from there. The java management console has the "Policies" "Config" and "Admin" tabs, while all other items are now done from UMC.

Items that previous versions of DCS had in the java managment console have been replaced by widgets in UMC. Widgets can be edited and added within UMC.

If you have an item that you find the widgets don't meet the business needs, you can re-enable the "Home" "Monitors" and "Reports" tabs in the java management console.

Please contact support if one is not there so we can make sure we have an enhancement request entered to add it to the product. We can also provide the startup parameter you'll need to switch the console over to what we refer to as "csp" mode.

Best Regards,

Jim