Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP 10.2 New install on WinXP SP3 - OS Locking up

Posted Aug 18, 2011 11:41 AM

We just upgraded to PGP 10.2 from 10.1.2 and after a period of time the machines lock up.  Icons disappear and we can not CTRL-ALT Delete out, we have to power off the the machine.  We run PGP in an un-managed environment all on stand alone laptops.  All are on various Dell laptops E series 6500, 6510, 6520. 

• 2.  RE: PGP 10.2 New install on WinXP SP3 - OS Locking up

Posted Aug 18, 2011 11:42 AM

What happens if you decrypt the drive? Does it still lock up? I would test this, as well as reoling back to 10.1.2 or uinstalling PGP. I haven't heard any reports of this problem yet.

• 3.  RE: PGP 10.2 New install on WinXP SP3 - OS Locking up

Posted Aug 23, 2011 03:42 PM

Same issue as described in the original post.

Did find that if I disable the Sophos A/V client then the laptop does not lockup (Dell E6500). Sophos A/V was used with previous version of PGP with no problems. Lockup occured after upgrade was applied.

Any idea if there is an update patch to v10.2.0(Build 1672)?

Sophos Endpoint Security and Control, ver. 9.5

• 4.  RE: PGP 10.2 New install on WinXP SP3 - OS Locking up

Posted Aug 23, 2011 07:01 PM

Maintenance Pack 1 will be out sometime soon hopefully. But this was only a known issue starting last week. I have had multiple customers report succesfully that disabling the auto-update service or uninstall the auto-update fixes the problem. We are currently doing debug logging to see if we can find the cause.

• 5.  RE: PGP 10.2 New install on WinXP SP3 - OS Locking up

Posted Aug 24, 2011 08:41 AM

@ Ben - We did test with decrypting the drive and it still locked up.  We opted not to revert to 10.1.2, because tht was causing Write Fail errors.  We did uninstall and are running fine with version 9.6.3.  However, that defeats the purpose of getting the updated PGP software and applying it as it is released. Hopefully the debug logging will help give some answers.

• 6.  RE: PGP 10.2 New install on WinXP SP3 - OS Locking up

Posted Aug 25, 2011 10:46 AM

Hi there,

Check if DEP is enabled: My Computer properties, Advanced tab, Data Execution Prevention tab.

If enabled, you should add exceptions for PGP exe´s and msiexec. Try reinstalling.

The same problem happens in safe mode?

Any other security software bothering?

Regards

• 7.  RE: PGP 10.2 New install on WinXP SP3 - OS Locking up

Posted Aug 26, 2011 02:02 PM

I have several customers reporting this issue. We have tested disabling DEP (no difference) we also installed PGP using the msiexec options (disabling netshare, rdd, etc) with no luck either. I have filed a bug on this. Bug# 2520499. 

The problem does not occur in safe mode because Sophos is disabled.

it is DEFINETELY the Sophos Endpoint Security and Control software's Auto-Update service conflicting with PGP that is causing the freezes. It appears that it's conflicting with PGP Desktop. We can confirm this by going into services.msc and disabling the Sophos Auto_update service. The system is immediately more responsive and no longer locks up. Uninstalling PGP Desktop while leaving Sophos AutoUpdate enabled, does not reproduce the problem.

I also installed PGP Desktop with only WDE enabled (no other options) and it still locks up (even without the disk encrypted). So it appears it is a problem with our WDE drivers and Sophos AutoUpdate. I have encouraged my customers to work with Sophos and open a technical suppport ticket there as well. To see if Sophos has any input to provide. Please note, it is NOT the same issue as the one already described in this KB (since disabling DEP and installing PGP without the MAPI components still causes the system to crash).

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH149145

• 8.  RE: PGP 10.2 New install on WinXP SP3 - OS Locking up

Posted Oct 19, 2011 06:11 AM

Hi.

Is this issue addressed in the 3.2 MP1 release?

Thanks & regards.