Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Can these folders be deleted?

Posted May 10, 2011 07:32 AM

I have 2 folders and need to know if they can be deleted for cleanup purposes:

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Cached Installs\{3C1AE512-3C37-44FA-BA42-ABB721EC5B1D}

I figured the LiveUpdate folder is a keeper but the cached installs folder can be removed...is this the case?

• 2.  RE: Can these folders be deleted?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 10, 2011 07:41 AM

Hello,

Are you uninstalling SEP and Liveupdate from the Machine?

Do you have any other Symantec Product on your machines?

Do you have SEPM installed on the same machines?

If the answer to the first is yes, for second is No and for Third is No, then you may surely delete these files.

Or else, I would recommend not to delete these files.

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads is the place where all the definitions gets downloaded.

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Cached Installs\ is the place where you would find the Product GUID.

• 3.  RE: Can these folders be deleted?

Posted May 10, 2011 07:45 AM

Yes, I currently have SEP on the machine.

The machine ran out of space pn C: so I have one of our admins trying to clean it up and is asking about these 2 folders and if they can be deleted.

• 4.  RE: Can these folders be deleted?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 10, 2011 07:49 AM

Hello,

In this case, you can clear the contents from \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads

(make sure you don't delete the "Downloads" folder)

I would not recommend you deleting the 

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Cached Installs\ 

• 5.  RE: Can these folders be deleted?

Posted May 10, 2011 07:55 AM

But can cached installs folder be deleted if necessary? Is it only used if something goes wrong and the client needs to be repaired ?

• 6.  RE: Can these folders be deleted?
    Best Answer

Posted May 10, 2011 08:00 AM

Yes thats right; this will help if you add/modify programs from add/remove programs tablet.

• 7.  RE: Can these folders be deleted?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 10, 2011 08:12 AM

Hello,

Yes, If necessary.