Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  how to configure SEP Content Distribution Monitor ? i have 12 GUPs for diffrent locations...

Posted Sep 20, 2012 02:51 AM

how to configure SEP Content Distribution Monitor  ? i have 12 GUPs for diffrent locations...

• 2.  RE: how to configure SEP Content Distribution Monitor ? i have 12 GUPs for diffrent locations...
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 20, 2012 02:54 AM

Hi Mohan,

Go through below steps to configure Content Distribution Monitor.

About Content Distribution Monitor
    Content Distribution Monitor is an unsupported, unofficial lightweight HTML application tool from Symantec.
    1. Single consolidate status view on all GUPs that are configured in the SEPM database.
    2. Monitor can be run on SEPM directly or any remote machine that can connect to the SEPM database.
    3. Provides Status on how many SEP Clients are downloading content directly from the SEPM.
    4. Provides a mechanism to reliable confirm GUPs are actively responding to SEP client requests, and can restart the GUP if it is not.

Download link for Content Distribution Monitor: 
    http://www.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/SEP_Content_DistMonitor_v4.8_BETA.zip

Steps for setup

STEP 1 : CONFIGURE THE SEPM DATABASE CONNECTION <<
    1. Start > Programs > Admin Tools > ODBC, System DSN, Select the 'SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN', click Configure. Click Finish, ensure the connection is successful
    2. Click to configure the 'SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN' again and this time click Next. Take note of whether the ODBC connection is using logged in Windows account
    (trusted connection) or is using specified SQL username and password.
    3. Open the config.ini file in notepad and set values for the various parameters as appropriate. There are two options for database connection string, ODBC or OLEDB. 
    Typically, it is best to try ODBC first and the OLEDB as an alternative option as needed.
    OLEDB connection string example as alternative to ODBC (add named instance after DB source IP as appropriate):
    Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=192.168.100.103;Initial Catalog=sem5;Integrated Security=SSPI;

STEP 2 : ENABLE IIS LOGGING <<
    Ensure IIS logging is enabled for the SEPM website. Steps for Windows 2003 are detailed below:
    Note: Steps for Windows 2008 will vary slightly, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732079(WS.10).aspx
    1. Right-click on the website, select Properties
    2. Select the 'Website' tab and ensure Logging is enabled
    3. Click Properties and change the log path to a more friendly one for your needs
    4. Click Advanced, ensure ONLY the following logging options are enabled:
       Date, Time, Client IP Address, URI Stem, Protocol Status and Bytes Sent
    5. Click Apply and OK to return to the main Symc Web Server Properties dialog
    6. Click the 'Home Directory' tab and ensure 'Log Visits' is selected.
    7. Click OK to close the Symc Web Server Properties dialog
    8. Expand the Symc Web Server so you can see the virt directories
    9. Right-click on 'content', click Properties and ensure Log Visits is checked, click OK
    10. Check all the other virt directories in the same way but ensure Log Visits is UNCHECKED
    11. Close IIS Manager
    12. Browse via Windows Explorer to directory you specified to store your IIS logs
    13. Open IE and enter the URL, http://localhost:<sepmport>/content/ContentInfo.txt and verify the ContentInfo page is returned as expected
    14. Check in the IIS logs directory again and verify a log was created and has the appropriate line item to record the content download request.
    15. Open the config.ini file in notepad and specify a value for the "SEPMx_IISlogPath" variable(s). You can include multiple lines if you wish, one per SEPM. Be sure to include a \ at the end of each entry. 
    Enter the appropriate IIS Log directories (where actual IIS files reside). Preferably enter them as UNC path (\\hostnameorIP\path\) as opposed to local absolute path (C:\..)
    so you can potentially run this monitor from remote machines too.
    NOTE: you can enter as many SEPMs as you wish.

STEP 3 : LAUNCH THE MONITOR! <<
    Double-click SEP_ContentDist_Monitor.hta to launch the monitor.

Regards,
    Ajeet

• 3.  RE: how to configure SEP Content Distribution Monitor ? i have 12 GUPs for diffrent locations...

Posted Sep 20, 2012 02:56 AM

Hi Ajeet,

Thanks for quick response let me check and update you.

Regards,

Mohan

• 4.  RE: how to configure SEP Content Distribution Monitor ? i have 12 GUPs for diffrent locations...

• 5.  RE: how to configure SEP Content Distribution Monitor ? i have 12 GUPs for diffrent locations...

Posted Sep 20, 2012 03:25 AM

Hi Ashish,

Thanks for the link what you given let me check and update to you.

Regards,

Mohan