Expand all | Collapse all

SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Srikanth_Subra

Srikanth_SubraFeb 14, 2012 05:38 AM

Migration User

Migration UserMar 21, 2012 12:20 PM

• 1.  SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Posted Feb 13, 2012 09:50 AM

After upgrading our clients from either SEP 11.0.6300 or 12.1.671 to 12.1.1000 (RU1) Tamper Protection begins blocking many valid applications (Word, Excel, notepad, explorer, RDP, Cisco VPN....)  We have no application policies in place and we have not made any other changes. Removing 12.1.RU1 and reisntalling a previous version will resolve the issue but as soon as the machine is upgraded back to 12.1.RU1 the problem comes back. We have provided many logs to Symantec but they have not been able to come up with anything. Has anyone seen this behavior or have any ideas?

• 2.  RE: SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Posted Feb 13, 2012 10:25 AM

Hello Hugh,

I'm not sure about what problem is but if you know the names of applications you can create exceptions for Tamper Protection under a Exception Policy.

Regards,

Oykun

• 3.  RE: SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 11:13 AM

Hi,

For testing purpose have you tried with fresh SEP 12.1 RU1 install ?

While blocking application what error it's throwing ?

• 4.  RE: SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Posted Feb 13, 2012 01:59 PM

We have a copy of either 11.0.6300 or 12.1.671 on our image, I'll stand up a clean image and test w/ 12.1 RU1 and see what happens.

The tamper protection logs that the process in question (whatever app it thinks it the offender) it attempting to shutdown the symantec services. Disabling tamper protection completely is the only way to get the machine back into a functional state.

• 5.  RE: SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Posted Feb 14, 2012 05:38 AM

Please check for any firewall rule blocking..

• 6.  RE: SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Posted Feb 14, 2012 05:57 AM

We had the same problems, once upgraded to 12.1RU1, the machines ran crazy with TamperProtection Errors (Java, Novell, Outlook, etc.).

The only way to get rid of that was deactivating the feature, as there were simply too many Apps to create exceptions for all of them.

• 7.  RE: SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Posted Feb 14, 2012 08:20 AM

This happens on machines that do not even have the firewall component installed.

• 8.  RE: SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Posted Feb 14, 2012 08:35 AM

That makes me feel a lot better. Symantec has been telling me that no one else has reported this to them and that it is something wrong with our image. I have been asking around and have heard of this problem at a few other businesses as well. Even if we don't have a solution yet at least I know it isn't just us. Maybe the next version of the software will fix this, who knows. It's irritating that they won't be honest about the scope of the issue.

• 9.  RE: SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Posted Feb 14, 2012 01:38 PM

It does happen on a clean image with a new install as well. What's strange is that you can have an application open for an hour or more and all of a sudden tamper protection will flag it as attempting to interfere with the Symantec services. Even simple apps like notepad do this.

I have had a case open for weeks and provided endless detailed logs with no luck. Now tech support is asking for a copy of our image. Our management is reluctant to provide one since it is becoming apparent that this is a widespread issue and not just something specific to us. (we've contacted several other accounts and all are reporting the same behavior) I hate to just disable tamper protection entirely because that will leave the machines vulnerable but that looks like our only option at this point.

• 10.  RE: SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Posted Mar 21, 2012 11:35 AM

I am haviing a similar problem and just want to know how I can disable Tamper Protection from SEPM v12.1?  I understand that I can add exclusions, but I can't seem to find the option to disable Tamper protection. I don't want to disable Tamper protection from the client side, I want to know how it can be done on the SEPM side.  In which policy can I find and disable Tamper protection?

Any help is appreciated

• 11.  RE: SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Posted Mar 21, 2012 12:19 PM

@wanman0621

TamperProtection can be disabled by browsing to the appropriate group, select the Policies-Tab.

Under "Location-independent Policies and Settings" Klick on "General Settings"

Choose the "Tamper Protection" Tab

Uncheck "Protect Symantec security software from being tampered with or shut down" 

See Screenshot:

• 12.  RE: SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Posted Mar 21, 2012 12:20 PM

Sorry, didn't reply to the right post.

• 13.  RE: SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Posted Mar 21, 2012 01:27 PM

Thanks!!  I was looking for this in the Policies, where mostly every other related setting is located (including exclusions - Hey, an oxymoron!!).  Silly me.  I'll try to think outside the box next time.

• 14.  RE: SEP 12RU1 Tamper Protection

Posted Jun 25, 2012 11:13 AM

Tamper Protection notifications have been removed from the latest version. You may be interested in this post if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/tamper-protection-notification-options-are-missing-sep-client-and-sepm-user-interface