Asset Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Tying external PO's to software licenses and purchases

Posted Feb 26, 2010 12:18 PM
    My question might be easily answered, but it is eluding me.  We do not use the PO system in Altiris.  We want to import our PO information through a connector and from what I can figure out so far, software and license purchases tie to an internal PO request or purchase created through Altiris.  What would be the best way or best practice to import external PO data (including multiple license purchases through MS Software Assurance program) into Altiris.  Also, what would be the best primary key to use to create a resource to associate these PO's to the licenses and purchases?  The only one I can think of (because it has to be unique) is the PO# itself, but I'm not sure how I can import multiple lines into a single resource without it squaking that it is not set up for multiple lines of data in a single entry mode (not quite the message, buyt you get the point).  I have read through the Asset manual but it really assumes you are using its built in PO system.

Thanks again!
    Dave

• 2.  RE: Tying external PO's to software licenses and purchases

Posted Feb 26, 2010 02:16 PM
    I've done it 2 ways; both are manual as our procurement system doesn't have an export function.

I started oout data entering the pertinent details in the Altiris purchase side and used the internal association function to connect things that way. It worked nicely because the data about a purchase in our procurement system is either not accurate or it's abbreviated because the fields don't allow alot of characters in them.

When we upgraded from 6.0 to 6.5 we could't import the 6.0 data into 6.5 so 2 custom fields were added to a tab in the software purchase record to record the PO# as well as an additional drop down choice list of our vendors so we could show the name of the reseller if we didn't buy direct. I also save a copy of the PO on my proof of purchase share drive and, on the purchase record's documents tab, I create an external link to it.

I use these same fields  and links for documents that pre-date our procurement system where some of the proof of purchase is only a copy of an invoice or a legal document. Instead of a PO# I specify the type of document and a # or date; "invoice # 10228" or "legal document effective date Feb 16, 1997".

• 3.  RE: Tying external PO's to software licenses and purchases

Posted Feb 26, 2010 05:17 PM
    Thanks!  I will look into that aspect of adding our own PO custom field.

Dave

• 4.  RE: Tying external PO's to software licenses and purchases

Posted Feb 26, 2010 05:33 PM
    I am thinking that you are adding your new fields to this piece?  It would make sense to put the PO# here...

screenshot1.png

• 5.  RE: Tying external PO's to software licenses and purchases

Posted Feb 26, 2010 05:48 PM
    One more thing that is bugging me...

One of my screens is now not showing up.  I am not sure why, as it was here 2 days ago.  When I go to create a new license now, it is not there either... Ideas???
    screenshot2.png

screenshot3.png

• 6.  RE: Tying external PO's to software licenses and purchases
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 01, 2010 05:55 PM
    Dave,

Resource Type Software License does not have Software License Search Rule data class, its derived resource types have this data class, such as Win32 License, OS License, Unix / Mac License.

BTW, Software License Search Rule is discontinued in Asset 7.0, it has moved from a file based search-and-match approach to a new software product centric model, which utilizes Inventory's Software Inventory scan.

• 7.  RE: Tying external PO's to software licenses and purchases

Posted Mar 03, 2010 11:05 AM
    Dave,

Since there are usually more than one purchase order per software license, we chose to put the purchase order fields on the software purchase template. We added a new tab to the template so the custom fields would stand out in an upgrade.

If you want to cut down on customization you could use fields on the Details tab that you're not already using. If you're not adverse to customization you could also rename any of the fields on the Details tab but you'll most likely need to tweak some things to get the new names to show up on subsequent records and any reports.

• 8.  RE: Tying external PO's to software licenses and purchases

Posted Mar 08, 2010 04:42 PM
    Thanks once again guys.  both of you had good responses.  I believe we will add a custom field for internal PO's.  Guru's explanation describes the exact problem I was having, and his solution is spot on.

Dave