Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  How do i find unmanaged computers? Also deployment doesn't work.

Posted Sep 09, 2011 08:11 AM

Sigh, there are so many problems with SEPM 12, it's unbelievable.

Okay, i'm trying to find unmanaged computers.

If i search by IP, i get ALL computers and devices, not just the unmanaged ones..I used to get only unmanaged ones and they were sorted by computers and unknown devices (routers, switches). It was an almost painless process.

Okay, i select some computers that i know don't have SEP installed (kinda defeating the purpose of "finding" unmanaged computers) and i see after they are done loading that they have been assigned the 32-bit version for their Windows XP.

Meanwhile the window shows it has no current protection, so i guess if i add every single device in the domain list, i will eventually also find those that have no protection installed. Seems pretty stupid and slow.

Now, i click the next arrow and my status bar stays on 0% forever. And i mean forever - i left it runing for a whole night for a single computer when i left work and the next morning it was still "deploying", meaning the bar was still scrolling back and forth at 0%.

What in the hell is going on with SEPM 12?

• 2.  RE: How do i find unmanaged computers? Also deployment doesn't work.

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 09, 2011 08:44 AM

Hello,

In the Symantec endpoint Protection version 12.1, it is called the Client Deployment Wizard.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164327

You can find it in two places - first from the Home screen, choose "Install Protection Client to Computers" from the "Common Tasks" drop down at the top right, or alternatively, from the Clients tab, when you are in the client list, click "Add a Client" on the left hand side, just above "Add computer account"

While it has changed, it still somewhat works.

Click on Add a Client

Pick your deployment method and package you want to deploy.

The after it browsers the network, select Search Network:

Add your IP range:

Once done searching they will show up:

Pick the ones you want to view and hit the right arrow. You will need to put in admin credentials. Once they authenticate, they will show up on the right side and you can see what version of SEP is there. Or whatever AV the machine has:

If you want to deploy, then you go one step further and hit next and follow the next screen. Kind of tedious compared to the Find Unmanaged Utilities in SEP 11, but this works.

Please check this Link:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/where-find-unmanaged-computers-sep-121-enterprise-beta

Let me copy the same what .. Paul Murgatroyd writes

Here is it:

"With SEP12, we decided to merge the old clientremote tool and Find Unmanaged Computers into one.  The new version is called the Client Deployment Wizard.

You can find it in two places - first from the Home screen, choose "Install Protection Client to Computers" from the "Common Tasks" drop down at the top right, or alternatively, from the Clients tab, when you are in the client list, click "Add a Client" on the left hand side, just above "Add computer account"

Both will launch the CDW and allow you to search your network, find all your PC's and helps you deploy the right client to each one.

Give it a go and let us know what you think!

thanks"

Hope this Helps!!!

• 3.  RE: How do i find unmanaged computers? Also deployment doesn't work.

Posted Sep 09, 2011 09:32 AM

Thanks for the response, but i pretty much know all of this already.

My problems lie with the fact that i have to add all computers that my search found into the "DEPLOY HERE" section and it will take forever to go through all the computers to find the unmanaged ones.

Why doesn't "Find UNMANAGED computers" actually find UNMANAGED computers, but instead shows me ALL computers in my domain and makes me handpick from there. Hell, i'd be okay if it game me all computers with an outdated client along with those with no client.

I can't see any reason why a client deployment feature would show me computers that already have said package installed.

And the deploy part doesn't work anyway, so i'll have to manually remote over there and start the installation by hand from a network drive.

• 4.  RE: How do i find unmanaged computers? Also deployment doesn't work.

Posted Sep 14, 2011 08:56 AM

Still having the same problem.

Can't deploy clients at all.

I have to use rdp to connect to the computer and run the installer from a network drive and wait for it to finish.

Sigh.

• 5.  RE: How do i find unmanaged computers? Also deployment doesn't work.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2011 09:22 AM

do you have the logs for the client installation, may be you can post it here, someone can have a glance into it.

• 6.  RE: How do i find unmanaged computers? Also deployment doesn't work.

Posted Mar 05, 2012 03:58 PM

WOW, all I want is a report of unmanaged computers or computers with NO SEP at all, and I have to go through a whole install process when there is no intention (at that time) of installing?

And I have to manually look - while it connects to the computers across a slow WAN link to verify credentials? And I have to do this one at a time, and if the computers don't show up in the list (many won't, since it relies on the faulty MS network browsing technology that never really shows ALL computers in your domain or on your network..... and if the computers are not turned on while you are looking, you have to go back and do it again?

Sorry, guys - BAD call. Apparently no one works in the trenches and has to tell the boss, "gee, boss, SCCM can do a FAR better job of getting that report for you, Symantec says I have to spend hours browsing our WANs acros the state to gather that information.... can I get that to you next month maybe?"

*Choosing from a list of computers, picking one at a time, checking to see what's on it or not, then finding out the list presented is not complete because network browsing has never really fully worked on Microsoft networks.

*By IP range? Sorry, dozens of subnets scattered across the state, across a WAN, with each office having it's own private subnet.

*By list? and if I had the list of computers on the network, I suppose I'd not be looking for unmanaged computers then would I?

At least the old SEP11 way I could set it to running and go home and come back in the AM and find the list all done.