Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  Failed to Setup performance counters, and Database counters failed to validate errors?

Posted Jan 09, 2015 12:29 PM

I am starting to see a lot of these 2 errors in my SMP log.  hundreds a day.

I am not sure what they are referencing and how to resovle them.  I don't notice any impact but with as many as I'm seeing it can't be good.

This is a red ERROR

Failed to setup performance counters.
    The configuration registry key is invalid
       [System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception @ System]
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.RegisterFiles(String arg0, Boolean unregister)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterCategory.Delete(String categoryName)
       at Altiris.ClientTask.Server.RemoteClientTaskManager.PerformanceCounterInstaller()

Exception logged from: 
       at Altiris.Diagnostics.Logging.EventLog.ReportException(Int32 severity, String strMessage, String category, Exception exception, String footer)
       at Altiris.NS.Logging.EventLog.ReportException(Int32 severity, String strMessage, String category, Exception exception)
       at Altiris.TaskManagement.Logging.AltirisServerLog.ReportException(String moduleName, String source, Exception handledException, String message, Object[] arguments)
       at Altiris.DotNetLib.Logging.AtrsLog.ReportExceptionWithSource(String source, Exception handledException, String message, Object[] arguments)
       at Altiris.ClientTask.Server.RemoteClientTaskManager.PerformanceCounterInstaller()
       at Altiris.ClientTask.Server.RemoteClientTaskManager.ClientConnectivityThreadStart()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

and this is a Blue Warning

Database counters failed to validate, recreating.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 1/9/2015 10:06:50 AM, Tick Count: 862229578 (9.23:30:29.5780000), Host Name: PRMAL012, Size: 323 B
    Process: CTDataLoad (4092), Thread ID: 24, Module: CTDataLoad.exe
    Priority: 2, Source: Altiris.TaskManagement.Performance.DeadlockPerformanceCounter.Validate
    File: C:\ProgramData\Symantec\SMP\Logs\a.log

Any thoughts ?

• 2.  RE: Failed to Setup performance counters, and Database counters failed to validate errors?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 10, 2015 08:16 AM

Did you try to restart:

• Altiris Service
    • Altiris Client Task Data Loader
    • Altiris Object Host Service

Any changes after that?

• 3.  RE: Failed to Setup performance counters, and Database counters failed to validate errors?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 12, 2015 04:04 AM

Hi SonicGT,

Please specify SMP version you are currently running.

Could it be that some changes for IIS or appool has been done reacently?

Also, please check windows application and system logs - for the "Altiris Object Host Service" (atrshost) restart or crash events.

If possible, please attach logs from SMP to this post.

Thank you,

Alex.

• 4.  RE: Failed to Setup performance counters, and Database counters failed to validate errors?

Posted Jan 12, 2015 01:55 PM

Yes servers were actually rebooted this past weekend after MS patches and the errors still persist

• 5.  RE: Failed to Setup performance counters, and Database counters failed to validate errors?

Posted Jan 12, 2015 01:56 PM

Nothing has changed in IIS

We are currently on 7.5 SP1 Hotfix 3, going to be applying hotfix 5 this coming weekend.

• 6.  RE: Failed to Setup performance counters, and Database counters failed to validate errors?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 13, 2015 04:24 AM

Are they available in Microsoft "Performance Monitor"?

TS_Counter.jpg

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009]"Counter"

• 7.  RE: Failed to Setup performance counters, and Database counters failed to validate errors?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 16, 2015 09:52 AM

They were not and when I would launch performance counter I got 

"Unable to add these counters:

\Memory\Available MBytes
    \Memory\% Committed Bytes In Use
    \Memory\Cache Faults/sec
    \Memory\Cache Faults/sec
    \PhysicalDisk(*)\%Idle Time
    \PhysicalDisk(*)\Avg. Disk Queue Length
    \Network Interface(*)\Bytes Total/sec"

So did a search for that and found an article on an MS site saying that things may be corrupt with a recommendation to rebuild the counters by running 

lodctr /r

from an admin command prompt.  I did this and then I could open performance monitor and see the task monitors and no longer got the unable to add error above.

Looking at my logs it would appear this resolved the errors that SMP was getting as well.

• 8.  RE: Failed to Setup performance counters, and Database counters failed to validate errors?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2015 09:54 AM

This is what I meant about to see behavior of perf counter in Performance Monitor :)

• 9.  RE: Failed to Setup performance counters, and Database counters failed to validate errors?

Posted Jan 19, 2015 03:38 PM

Yeah your reply led me to the final solution.  I hadn't even thought about checking performance monitor, didn't even know altiris put things in there.  Once I checked as you recommended I saw the generic error that led me to to solution.

Thanks again