Server Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Push installation fails on some servers

Posted Apr 11, 2012 04:19 AM

Hi all

I started to push out the agents to our servers, about 2/3  went without a problem but with the rest I have following Problem.

In the Console if I try to push it says "The network path was not found".

And in the Logs:

"Failed to discover computer's OS details for 'MYSERVERNAME' computer. The natwork path was not found. Error:53

and

Failed to discover IP Address for MYSERVERNAME.WORKGROUP, process will try to get details using WINS name resolution

I tried with IP & Servername.

I can connect to the ADMIN$ share, to the shares I could even do a manually install and it communicates normal. Firewall is off too. Does someone have a clue what it could be?

Thanks

Patrick

• 2.  RE: Push installation fails on some servers

Posted Apr 12, 2012 09:28 AM

You said that you could access it, but are you sure the app ID has access to ADMIN$?

• 3.  RE: Push installation fails on some servers

Posted Apr 13, 2012 06:08 AM

Well I checked if I can access \\server\Admin$ with the installation credentials, what do you mean with the app id?

• 4.  RE: Push installation fails on some servers

Posted Apr 16, 2012 09:33 AM

The app id is the credentials that altiris uses to run.  I'd assume that its the same as your installation credentials, which leaves me out of ideas.

• 5.  RE: Push installation fails on some servers

Posted Apr 26, 2012 07:44 AM

Patrick, Did you ever find a resolution to this?  I am having this exact same issue...I verified every possible cause in this KB: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH13407 and solution but still no luck.  I'm about to open a case with support as I’m out if ideas.

• 6.  RE: Push installation fails on some servers

Posted Apr 26, 2012 12:45 PM

After a week I finally  at least know what the problem is.  NetBios over TCPIP was not enabled on the NIC of the target computer trying to push the agent to which resolved the "Network Path Not Found" error. 

Now I get the follwoing errors in the log viewer:

"Failed to resolve network address for: <ComputerName>@WORKGROUP"

"Failed to copy the eXpress Client service to \<ComputerName>\Admin$\..."

the "@WORKGROUP" is a WINS format name resolution which leads me to believe it does not use reverse DNS to find name to IP, it uses WINS for a shortname workgroup server lookup.

We will be installing WINS now to see if that works.

• 7.  RE: Push installation fails on some servers

Posted May 02, 2012 03:21 AM

Hi Andrew

No news on my side unfortunately, still the same.

Did it work it on your side with WINS?