Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  help deploying 32 or 64 bit software

Posted Nov 11, 2011 08:19 AM

Hello,

I have numerous software packages to deploy and they have both 32 and 64 bit versions. Obviously I want to deploy the correct version to the correct OS easily.

I know I could create each software application as an individual item and deploy it using filters to control which machine type it is going to, but that is messy.

Is there anyone to create a single software application, with both versions included and deploy it to all my machines - each machine deciding which version to install?? Doing it this way means I only have one filter, one application etc to manage and all my reports just show one application.

many thanks,

Ian

• 2.  RE: help deploying 32 or 64 bit software

Posted Nov 11, 2011 10:07 AM

Hello,

I would recommend to use applicability rule for respective OS.

1. Go to Manage->Software Catalog->Select the software resource you would like to deliver.
    2. Open up Rules tab -> In applicability rules drop down menu select the 64 or 32 bit platform. Save the Software resource
    3. Do this with all software you whant to deliver.
    4. Create manage delivery policy. Manage ->Policies-> Right click on Managed software delivery folder, select  New->Managed software delivery.
    5. Double click in new policy go to Add ->Software and add 32 bit sw resource with earlier created 32 bit OS applicability rule.
    6. When it is done click Add->Software again  and 64 bit sw resource with earlier created 64 bit OS applicability rule
    7. Select the resources you would like to apply the policy on via Apply to tab
    8. Add Scheduling via Schedule tab
    9. Turn the policy On and save changes
    10. Receive the policy on the client

SW resource will be installed only to the platform which was selected in applicability rule. Meaning SW resource meant to be installed only on 32 bit system will be installed only on 32 bit system and will not be installed on 64 bit system

Regards,

Dmitri

• 3.  RE: help deploying 32 or 64 bit software

Posted Nov 11, 2011 10:08 AM

Things to think about:

1. Trying to create a single installer with both bits of software embedded is going to approximately double the amount of bandwidth you need to use to deploy the apps. They then need to be extracted which doubles the amount of free disk space required.

2. You will need to check whether any license conditions are being breached, as you will be deploying two instances of the application to a machine even if only one is being installed.

3. There is no "off the shelf" wrapper code to do this so you will need to create something yourself. It will need to start out as a 32 bit application as this can run on both platforms, but you will also need to ensure that the 32 bit process is capable of correctly starting a 64 bit installation, and not being a programmer, I'm not sure how easy it is to force execution of a 64 bit installer in a 64 bit process thread from a 32 bit process. 

4. The process of creating and testing each dual installer will add time and cost to your overheads.

Frankly, I think you should accept the initial overhead in creating and maintaining separate groups for 32 bit and for 64 bit applications, as the long term simplicity and cost/testing savings are incontrovertible.

• 4.  RE: help deploying 32 or 64 bit software
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 11, 2011 11:06 AM

The best practice is that you use applicability rules when you create each software resource, then include them in a single policy.  For example, you include the TurkeyFryer 2.0 32-bit and TurkeyFryer 2.0 64-bit software resources in the same managed software delivery policy.  Then you apply the TurkeyFryer 2.0 policy to your target, which can include any architecture. 

When the policy runs the compliance check, the detections will evaluate as false and so it will pass on to the applicability rules.  (Or maybe this happens the other way around, with applicability first.  I'm sure the answer is found in the Software Management 7.1 Best Practices guide: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/symantec-software-management-71-best-practices-part-2#a07).  On a 32-bit computer, the 64-bit applicability will be false, so no remediation will occur.  On a 64-bit computer, the 32-bit applicability will be false, so no remediation will occur.  When remediation does occur for the proper OS architecture, it will only download the software resource it needs, not both, saving you bandwidth, disk space, and time.

Does this answer your question?

• 5.  RE: help deploying 32 or 64 bit software

Posted Nov 16, 2011 04:32 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I had done what was suggested, I wanted to double check I was on the right lines.

So, I have a policy with 2 software packages in it, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit machines. I send the policy to my machine which is 64 bit OS.

The first task to run is the detection check for 32 bit, it fails so remediation check runs for 32 bit - it also fails as it should do. But here is the thing, the detection check for 64 bit never runs, the task just finishes after the first application checks fail

On a 32 bit machine the 32 detection check fails, the remediation check goes to detected. The 64 bit checks run and they both fail, but again, no application is installed.

Is this something that shoudl work and hence am I missing something ??

Many thanks,

Ian

• 6.  RE: help deploying 32 or 64 bit software

Posted Nov 16, 2011 04:52 AM

The first thing you should do is configure your policy not to "Abort" on error, but to continue.

Select Component -> Advanced -> Run Options -> Upon failure -> Continue

Then verify your detection checks are working at all (try a policy with a single component).

• 7.  RE: help deploying 32 or 64 bit software

Posted Nov 16, 2011 05:30 AM

That sorted it, all working now.

There were numerous solutions to this problem but it appears I can only mark one as the solution.

Thanks to all those who answered.