Client Management Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Migration Wizard - SWD Packages 6 to 7.0

• 1.  Migration Wizard - SWD Packages 6 to 7.0

Posted Jan 27, 2011 04:01 PM

Hello,

In test environment I'm trying to do an off-line upgrade of Software Delivery Packages from 6.0 to 7.0.

I copied the D:\Program Files\Altiris\Upgrade\*.* from my new SMP7 server to my old NS6 server.

I ran NSUpgradeWizard.exe but I don't know what to include since I only want SWD Packages to be exported.

I excluded all products but Software Management Solution but I only see SWD Solution Licenses to export/import. There is no package.

What do I do wrong? We have around 8000 packages to migrate in prod I hope that there is a way to do it!

Please help.

RJ

• 2.  RE: Migration Wizard - SWD Packages 6 to 7.0

Posted Jan 27, 2011 05:29 PM

This article is a good overview of the migration:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-guide-migrating-software-delivery-software-management

Is this the process you're following?

• 3.  RE: Migration Wizard - SWD Packages 6 to 7.0

Posted Jan 28, 2011 11:34 AM

Part of it yes,

I am installing CMS7 on a new server.

On my NS6 I installed SIM but it did not install the NSMigrationWizard. I located the "Upgrade" that I copied to my NS6. I launched the NSUpgradeWizard but I don't see my packages to export neither the "Software Delivery File Exporter" that I see the article screen-shot.

There is probably something that I do wrong. I looked at NS6 Solutions to see if my product was at the recommended version. Software Delivery Solution is at 6.1.1058. NS is at 6.0 SP3 R13 (6.0.6074).

• 4.  RE: Migration Wizard - SWD Packages 6 to 7.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 31, 2011 03:48 AM

Hi,

In case you want to perform so called "off box" upgrade from NS 6.x to 7.x the sequence of actions should be following:

1) Install CMS\SMS\ITMS 7.0 to the server to which migration is performed. Select "Migration" component in SIM during the installation.

2) Locate migration package on the server - %ProgramFiles%\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\MigrationPackage and copy the package to NS 6.x.

3) Install the Migration package to NS 6.x server from which migration is performed.

4)  Then follow the steps from the document mentioned above - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-guide-migrating-software-delivery-software-management

You should see the option to export packages - like it is shown below

Thank you,

Andrew Shishkov.

• 5.  RE: Migration Wizard - SWD Packages 6 to 7.0

Posted Jan 31, 2011 02:18 PM

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44430

It's not very clear but I think you need to implement the fix on your NS6 server.

• 6.  RE: Migration Wizard - SWD Packages 6 to 7.0

Posted Feb 02, 2011 12:46 PM

Hello Andrew,

My post was probably not clear. Yes, the "off box" upgrade is what I'm trying to do. I only want to export/import my packages.

1) I did install my Management Platform 7 (NS7) on a new box. I did select Migration components so there is a folder called "D:\Program Files\Altiris\Upgrade\" where I see "NSUpgradeWizard.exe" on my NS7 (NS7 is installed on D: drive by the way).

2) There is a folder called "D:\Program Files\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\" but there is nothing called "MigrationPackage" in that folder and anywhere on the server whatsoever.

I copied the "D:\Program Files\Altiris\Upgrade\" folder where I see "NSUpgradeWizard.exe" from my NS7 to my NS6 server and ran the "NSUpgradeWizard.exe" program. If you look at the screen shot I posted before, there is no "Software Delivery Package File Exporter" option under "Software Management Solution".

3) Since there is no MigrationPackage installation package on my NS7, I cannot install it on my NS6. I guess that this is why the "Solution Management Solution" option is missing options.

4) I did read the  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-guide-migrating-software-delivery-software-management it mentioned "Migration Wizard " at step no.20 but does not provide a path to download the wizard from Symantec web site.

I suppose that I will solve my problem when I will be able to install MigrationWizard on my NS6 server.

Where can I find the MigrationWizard installer?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

RJ

• 7.  RE: Migration Wizard - SWD Packages 6 to 7.0

Posted Feb 02, 2011 12:53 PM

Hi Andykn1,

I just did implement the fix stated in TECH44430 but still no luck.

Thanks,

RJ

• 8.  RE: Migration Wizard - SWD Packages 6 to 7.0
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 02, 2011 04:46 PM

Arrrg! Simple but it took me a while to find it!

On my SMP7 (NS7), there is a folder "D:\Program Files\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Installs\Altiris\"

I edited the "migration_setup.vbs" script and I found the list of all the msi required for the Migration Wizard installation.

I had already copied all files from "D:\Program Files\Altiris\Upgrade\" from my SMP7 (NS7) to my NS6 same path.

I copied "D:\Program Files\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Installs\Altiris\altiris_nsupgrade_7_0_kb49812_sp5_x86.msi" from my NS7 to same path to my NS6.

After running "altiris_nsupgrade_7_0_kb49812_sp5_x86.msi" on my NS6, the Migration Wizard was showing, among others, "Exports Software Delivery Packages along with its Programs" exporter that I was missing since beginning.

All documentation I found was talking about a "%ProgramFiles%\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\MigrationPackage" that does not seem to be existing anymore and that was pointing me on a wrong direction.

I hope that this will help someone else.

RJ

• 9.  RE: Migration Wizard - SWD Packages 6 to 7.0

Posted Feb 14, 2011 12:10 AM

I'm sorry, you have 8000 packages?  Please tell me that you're counting Patch Management packages in that number?  If not...wow.  That is A LOT of packages.

• 10.  RE: Migration Wizard - SWD Packages 6 to 7.0

Posted Feb 22, 2011 08:16 AM

Kyle,

You are right. I guess I over estimated the amount of my packages to export/import. ;-)

Some of our PS shows 8420 packages but we only have around 1000 Software Delivery Packages. We have 102 PS and for me it's way too much. With only one NS6 to manage that, smoke is comming out of the Server's box.

I'm trying to have some people to clean as much as I we can before I export/import to the MP7. We have to manage with MSI source paths.

RJ

• 11.  RE: Migration Wizard - SWD Packages 6 to 7.0

Posted Feb 24, 2011 01:34 PM

Am I to understand the 6.0 server did not have the optional components/migration packages installed?

Thanks,