Expand all | Collapse all

Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Mick2009

Mick2009Oct 04, 2012 11:07 AM

Migration User

Migration UserDec 17, 2012 12:30 PM

• 1.  Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Posted Oct 03, 2012 11:09 AM

Please help!! I am in the middle of testing for my deployment of SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007R3 and am running into a couple issues. I am getting false negatives, specifically, the installation returning an exit code 1, saying that the installation failed, however the installations succeeds. Is there a reason for this?

Secondly, and to give further specifics, I have created 2 groups in the SEPM.

Workstations, and VM's. I have exported my exectuable's, created single .exe's and checked the boxes to have the installations put the workstions into the Workstations group and to get the associated policies, and the same for the VM group. If I manually run the executable on a machine, the machine get's put into the correct group and gets the correct policy. If I have SCCM push the installation, every machine no matter what executable is used, the machines end up in the DEFAULT group. Is there a reason for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Dan

• 2.  RE: Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Posted Oct 03, 2012 11:18 AM

Installing clients with Microsoft SMS 2003

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO55425

Note:

This topic also applies to Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM).

• 3.  RE: Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Posted Oct 04, 2012 04:58 AM

Hi Dan,

"Thumbs up" to the advice above.  There is also a “Installing clients with Microsoft SMS 2003” section of the Symantec™ Endpoint Protection Implementation Guide has additional details that has additional details about deployments via SMS 2003 and SCCM 2007.  In my experience, following the steps there should be successful.

Workstations, and VM's. I have exported my exectuable's, created single .exe's and checked the boxes to have the installations put the workstions into the Workstations group and to get the associated policies, and the same for the VM group. If I manually run the executable on a machine, the machine get's put into the correct group and gets the correct policy. If I have SCCM push the installation, every machine no matter what executable is used, the machines end up in the DEFAULT group. Is there a reason for this?

Are there duplicate clients appearing in the SEPM, or are all the clients just in the wrong group?  If it is that all clients are in the wrong group, then the most likely situation is that the setup.exe created for the default group has been rolled out to all clients, not just the machines intended for that group. 

Another possibility.... Those setup.exe files created have a sylink.xml inside of them which has details about which client group to apply to the installed client.  If you have time, open both setup.exe's with winrar, 7z etc and extract the two sylink.xml's.  Do they specify the desired groups or are they both for the default group?

Please do keep this thread up-to-date with your progress!

• 4.  RE: Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

• 5.  RE: Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Posted Oct 04, 2012 11:01 AM

Thanks Mick,

I am going to do that extraction right now. The only executables I created were for my 2 groups, I didn't create any for the default group. So i am guessing that something happened witht the sylink.xml file during the creation process. I will do the extractions and take a look and update you!!!

• 6.  RE: Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Posted Oct 04, 2012 11:07 AM

Cheers Dan!  Do let me know what you find.

• 7.  RE: Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Posted Oct 04, 2012 02:00 PM

Very odd, I have opened the EXE's and the sylink.xml is correctly pointing to the proper groups. Starting to think that it may be an issue with SCCM.

• 8.  RE: Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Posted Oct 04, 2012 05:52 PM

Cheers for checking, Dan- that rules a lot of things out.

Are your SEPM's client groups synched to Active Directory, by any chance?

Also: these are existing computers, correct?  You're not rolling out a new master image to all the enterprise at the same time? 

• 9.  RE: Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Posted Oct 05, 2012 11:34 AM

None of my client groups are syncing to AD and these are all existing PC's. Either way I can manage these as they get added by manually moving them to the correct groups. I only have 1200ish total clients so I am not going to lose sleep over it.

• 10.  RE: Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Posted Dec 14, 2012 06:47 AM

Hi,

I am having the same problem - reports as failed, but it has installed.  I simply created a program pointing to setup.exe.  The package I mkade in SEPM was silent.

Are there any extra command lines or config I need to do so it reports OK?

• 11.  RE: Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Posted Dec 14, 2012 03:20 PM

I was able to figure it out on my own. What I was doing was creating packages as a SINGLE .exe file. I unchecked that so it creates the separate folders and files. I then had SCCM package that and the installs went fine and it also reports as fine. Hope this helps.

• 12.  RE: Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Posted Dec 17, 2012 10:54 AM

Thanks for coming back - so did you deploy the msi that is in the folder or the setup.exe with bunch of files?

Thanks

• 13.  RE: Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Posted Dec 17, 2012 12:30 PM

I asked my SCCM guy and he said he did the MSI.

• 14.  RE: Deploying SEP 12.1 using SCCM 2007 R3

Posted Dec 18, 2012 03:53 AM

Thanks - what command line did you settle on in the end or did you create a batch file?  Sorry for the questions! :-)