Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Troubleshooting steps to take for ghost client backup timing out?

Posted Mar 18, 2009 11:02 AM

We're using ghost Solution suite 11.5 and have a couple machines that hang during the middle of their backup..

I've tried running disk checks on both machines and also defrags... It appears to hang on larger files like pst files...  then goes to "polling for (servername)"

can anyone offer up a suggestion or what troubleshooting steps to take in this situation?  Where can I find logs that might give us better info as to why this is failing?

server is at 11.5.0.2113 and the clients say 11.5.0.2141

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Troubleshooting steps to take for ghost client backup timing out?

Posted Mar 18, 2009 01:45 PM

There is a third live update that will make changes to the ghost and ghost32 executable but won't change the server version number.  If your ghost explorer isn't upto 2165 then here is the link to download it. 

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/docid/2009012708572360

My next thing would be to update the drives for the ghost boot environment.

• 3.  RE: Troubleshooting steps to take for ghost client backup timing out?

Posted Mar 19, 2009 08:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Bob, I applied the patch and redeployed to the clients again but it still wasnt successful...

For your next suggestion you mention update the drives (Drivers?) for the ghost boot environment ?

• 4.  RE: Troubleshooting steps to take for ghost client backup timing out?

Posted Mar 19, 2009 02:38 PM

Anyone have any more suggestions for this problem?  Why would the latest and greatest versions of Symantec Solution Suite be hanging up during the backup process?

• 5.  RE: Troubleshooting steps to take for ghost client backup timing out?

Posted Mar 25, 2009 01:01 PM
    Bob or anyone else... What other troubleshooting steps remain if you are already at the latest version? 

Where is the support for this product ?

• 6.  RE: Troubleshooting steps to take for ghost client backup timing out?

Posted Mar 30, 2009 06:56 PM
    You can always check for the ghosterr.txt in the same folder where ghost/ghost32 is run from. That is if ghost has detected something that it cannot handle so it aborts, which should be very-very rare.

In your case - how does it manifests itself in "hang". Does ghost no longer responds and no longer sends data across? This large files - are they stored on FAT or NTFS volumes?

Thanks.