Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

• 1.  SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 19, 2009 10:42 AM

Hi all,

I've just completed the installation of SEP11 v.11.0.1000.1375 and the first three tabs can't open. If I click in one of the three tabs appears "Loading" and It can't load.

Any suggestions?

imagebrowser image

• 2.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 19, 2009 05:05 PM

SEPM is very much Java based. 

Although it does require JRE 1.6, for MR4 and earlier version of JRE for earlier versions...  You might try updating/fixing your version of Java Runtime Environment from Sun...

• 3.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 19, 2009 05:15 PM

11.0.1000.1375 is a pretty old version at this point. I would recommend downloading one the latest builds 11.0.4000 or 11.0.4014 and go from there.

In case you wish to see if you can get the 3 pages working in the older build you can try these steps out to configure ODBC and see if that allows them to load.

Here are the steps:

In the Windows Control Panel, open Data Sources (ODBC).

On the System DSN tab click Symantec Endpoint Security DSN.

Click Configure.

On the Login tab, enter the User ID DBA and the Symantec Endpoint Protection password configured during installation (this is the same as the Endpoint Protection Manager login password by default).

On the Database tab enter the name of the computer that runs Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager into the "Server name:" field.

Under Database Name, enter the following: sem5

On the Network tab ensure TCP/IP is checked.

Enter the IP address of the computer that runs Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager into the TCP/IP field in the following format:

HOST=10.10.10.10

On the ODBC tab, click Test.

If the test is successful Click OK to save the changes.

Once you are done you will need to open up the Services panel and restart the IIS Admin service and it's dependencies then try to login and see if the first 3 pages are displayng properly.

Hope that helps!

• 4.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 20, 2009 05:35 AM

I've just done this checks but the problem remains. Any other ideas?

imagebrowser imageimagebrowser image

• 5.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 20, 2009 01:10 PM

I would install the latest version as mentioned earlier and see what type of results that gives you. If you are still running into trouble though I would recommend logging a case with Technical Support so we can take a closer look.

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

-or-

https://mysupport.symantec.com/

Hope that helps!

• 6.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 20, 2009 01:22 PM

Unless Java 6 update 12 has fixed the issue, using the remote SEPM console does not work properly with Java 6. I had to "downgrade" to the latest version of Java 5 (JRE 1.5.0.17 at the time) to get Home, Monitors, and Reports to work.

Are you using the console on the server it is installed on, or are you connecting remotely? If remotely, might want to try uninstalled Java 6 and trying 5.

• 7.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 20, 2009 01:47 PM

Open IIS Manager ->Expand Websites ->SEPM's Website ->Right Click on Reporting and click Browse :: That will give the exact error.

• 8.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 20, 2009 04:37 PM

nye,

You would rather like to troubleshoot that on > MR4 , Isn't it?

• 9.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 30, 2009 06:32 AM
    I've installed the latest version MR4 and MP1.
    But I have the same problems.

Now I'm downgrading JRE to 1.5.0.17 and I'll retry

• 10.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 30, 2009 08:16 AM
    I've got the latest SEM/SEP on everything, and note the same thing with the console and it doesn't matter if I'm launching it from my workstation pointed to like this:
    http://vrdsmsep1:9090/symantec.html

or I'm running it from the SERVER directly. IT's slow. At times, when I click to edit a policy, for example, it shows me a blank box, I have to close it 2 or 3 times and keep trying and I eventually get the policy.
    Same for tabs - it can take nearly a minute sometimes to switch from 1 tab to another. I've learned to cut the coffee - or move to decaf and do yoga while waiting. Nothing has helped it, not fast-cgi, not new versions, not JAVA, which scare me to death and several Java changes have broken it completley and I've had to totally uninstall JAVA and reinstall again more than once.
    I'll say it again - JAVA stinks and is painfully slow - and until they write their own fast code in C++ or something better, it's going to be SLOW and prone to breakage by JAva updates.

• 11.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 30, 2009 09:57 AM
    After downgrading JRE from 1.6 to 1.5.0.17 and fix the JVM Option 0 and 1 to -Xmx1024m, I can see FINALLY the three tabs!ù

Thanks at all for the cooperation!

Bye bye

• 12.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 30, 2009 11:03 AM
    I'm glad to hear that worked for you.

Just a head's up though, I believe that Java 4.x and 5.x have reached their product end of life, so they won't be getting any updates.

...Hopefully Java 6 update 25 will work properly with the remote SEM.

If anyone has successfully gotten the remote manager to work with Java 6, please share how.

• 13.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 30, 2009 03:04 PM

You need 1.6 update 7 installed as well as the current version.

Create a new desktop shortcut by copying the one created by SEPM. Look at its Properties and change the first part to point to the javaws.exe from 1.6 update 7.

The new shortcut properties will look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\javaws.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\35\6e022e63-51997c15"

Do not modify the one created by SEPM. Starting with MR4, it rewrites it every time SEPM is launched so your changes will go away.

Applications launching Java, such as IE, will continue to use the latest version of 1.6 that's installed.

Ray

• 14.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 30, 2009 03:08 PM
    IE 6 and SEPM needed to have the IP address of the SEPM server added as a proxy exclusion Otherwise clicking on certain things, like the upper right window of the Home page (Virus Definitions Distribution), caused Loading... to be displayed in the new window forever.

IE 7 worked OK without a special exclusion.

Ray

• 15.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 31, 2009 08:40 AM
    rajp this is MY shortcut - doesn't even look close !  LOL.
    Suggestions? It keeps crashing, and is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
    BTW - did I mention it crashes a lot and is slow?

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaws.exe "C:\Users\wad.VRNTDOM1.000\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javaws\http\Dvrdsmsep1\P9090\DMservlet\AMJnlpServlet"

• 16.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 31, 2009 11:53 AM

Have you tried running it from a 32-bit workstation?

Yours is kind of odd because it looks like it's trying to run it directly from the server on port 9090. To install the console I go to http://<servername>:9090 and click the link. I wonder if a 64-bit client needs to run something directly from the server itself.

Ray

• 17.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 31, 2009 02:03 PM
    That's exactly what I do:
    http://vrdsmsep1:9090

It jumps to this:
    http://vrdsmsep1:9090/symantec.html

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console

From the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, you can manage endpoint protection, develop and automatically update security policies, and monitor policy enforcement.

Use the link below to install or access the remote console. On Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, you can install the remote console only if you have administrative privileges on this computer. After you install the remote console, you can set the privilege level so that standard users can access the console. Right-click the remote console icon, then select Properties > Advanced > Run as Administrator.

The remote console requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.5 or version 1.6 update 4, 5, 6, or 7. Any other JRE version provides limited access to the console.

and it brings up a page from SEP1 and I click the link at the bottom, and you saw the results!  ;-)

It doesn't matter if I go to the SERVER and follow that address, same results - Java is slow, crashes and we wait forever for it to change to the next item or bring up a policy for editing.

• 18.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Mar 31, 2009 04:11 PM
    Do you have a 32-bit workstation you can try it on?

Ray

• 19.  RE: SEP11: problem tab "home", "monitors", "reports"

Posted Apr 09, 2009 10:51 AM

You need 1.6 update 7 installed as well as the current version.

Create a new desktop shortcut by copying the one created by SEPM. Look at its Properties and change the first part to point to the javaws.exe from 1.6 update 7.

The new shortcut properties will look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\javaws.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\35\6e022e63-51997c15"

Do not modify the one created by SEPM. Starting with MR4, it rewrites it every time SEPM is launched so your changes will go away.

Applications launching Java, such as IE, will continue to use the latest version of 1.6 that's installed.

Ray

Mine does not rewrite the symantec shortcut after I altered it.  I think some don't know you can have more than one version of java. Just like Ray said make sure your shortcut is pointing to the correct version of java folder, ie. "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\javaws.exe"