Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP11 EOL and definitions

Posted Sep 19, 2013 10:17 AM

Hi

Hopefully an easy question - SEP11 goes end of support life in September 2014.  Will the supply of definitions and other content also stop on that date?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: SEP11 EOL and definitions

Posted Sep 19, 2013 10:21 AM

This only applies to the product, meaning releases. It will also be the last day you can contact support. Defs should still remain in place. You can also pay for extra support beyond this date.

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/other_resources/b-end_of_life_policy_for_business_products.en-us.pdf

• 3.  RE: SEP11 EOL and definitions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 19, 2013 11:00 AM

Hello,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

I would be glad to answer your query.

Hopefully an easy question - SEP11 goes end of support life in September 2014.  Will the supply of definitions and other content also stop on that date?

--> No, it shoudn't.

You may get extended support if applied subject to avilibility,.

Few SAV customers still receiving definitions though product has reached end of support while ago.

However it's recommended to upgrade to the latest verison of SEP to enjoy many other enhancements and improvements.

• 4.  RE: SEP11 EOL and definitions

Posted Sep 19, 2013 11:12 AM

Most likely definitions for SEP 11.0 will be available for more time only for those who subscribe an extension of the support for that product version.

• 5.  RE: SEP11 EOL and definitions

Posted Sep 19, 2013 11:34 AM

I've been wondering this myself tbh.

The EOL Policy (http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/other_resources/b-end_of_life_policy_for_business_products.en-us.pdf) actually states that "We typically do not provide Content Updates during the Partial Support phase".  The Partial Support phase actually comes before the End-of-Support-Life date, which is the one marked for 2014-09-27 (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=releasedetails&key=54619#).  This suggests content updates will stop before the EOSL date.

Obviously it's fast looming, and seems odd that the EOL and End-Of-Limited-Support dates remain empty for 11RU7MP3, so I've asked this question of our technical contact at Symantec, but have not yet received any sort of confirmation either way.

It's also very odd that many of the slightly older SEP11 versions (e.g. 11RU7MP2) have an EOL dated before they were even released.

I'd ideally want to see a post from monsieur Murgatroyd or someone similar to clarify this point.  Still kinda looks like a typo on the release details page to me.

• 6.  RE: SEP11 EOL and definitions
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 19, 2013 11:37 AM

there might be chance it might extended as SAV ..however it's always better to upgrade to the latest version.

• 7.  RE: SEP11 EOL and definitions

Posted Sep 19, 2013 11:53 PM

Hi

Definitions would be available but there would be no new product release.

Regards

• 8.  RE: SEP11 EOL and definitions

Posted Sep 25, 2013 12:08 PM

Looking at the FAQ, there are these items:

21. What is End of Support Life?
    This is the end of the product life cycle. Once a product or version reaches its End of Support Life Symantec will stop providing any kind of support services unless Sustaining Support is available for a particular version (see FAQ 20).

22. What is the End of Partial Support?
    Symantec sometimes refers to the End of Support Life as the End of Partial Support for those product versions that have a Partial
    Support phase. The terms, End of Support Life and End of Partial Support mean the same thing.

So I think it basically means, content stops once we reach EOSL, which for SEP11 is 27th Sept 2014.  So yes....time to upgrade...

Thanks